Posted to hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Mi...@emc.com on 2011/09/23 23:29:25 UTC

Long running tests failure

Folks,

When running TestLargeBlock and TestBalancer, which tend to take a long
time to run on my dev box, I get the following error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-surefire-plugin:2.6:test (default-test) on
project hadoop-hdfs: Error while executing forked tests.; nested exception
is
org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.shade.org.codehaus.plexus.util.cli.Command
LineTimeOutException: Error while executing external command, process
killed. Process timeout out after 900 seconds -> [Help 1]

How do you set the timeout to be 1 hour instead of default 900 seconds ?

(Other option is to buy a supercomputer as a dev environment for hadoop,
but thought I should try asking the dev list first ;-)

- milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Greenplum Labs, EMC
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and
do not necessarily represent the views of any organization, past or
present, the author might be affiliated with.)

Re: Long running tests failure

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
On 24/09/11 00:15, Todd Lipcon wrote:
> I think TestLargeBlock fails if you have low disk space on your dev
> machine -- since the drive selection algorithm needs something like 5x
> block size free, and the test uses a 2G+ block size. I know it always
> fails on my laptop where I tend to have 5-6G free (SSD small but worth
> it!)

It's timing out on a machine of mine with 300+GB, so that isn't the
cause. Maybe slow disks/cpus/swapping triggers the timeout?

Re: Long running tests failure

Posted by Mi...@emc.com.
Yeah ! That's really crazy. I don;t have time to debug it though. I will
move my dev environment to linux.

:-(

- milind

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
I faced the same issue on my brand new MPB (i7) laptop.
The Hadoop pom.xml are configured with a surefire plugin timeout of 900s. I
commented it out (infinite timeout) and the TestLargeBlock last 2000s on my
laptop. I have now a problem with another test
(org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.common.TestDistributedUpgrade) which seems to

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.