Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Nolan Hurlburt <no...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/17 21:38:17 UTC

Qpid for a distributed fault tolerant message bus

We're exploring using qpid as the messaging solution for our network.
Currently it consists of a handful of regional datacentres running
propriety server applications on Linux. We've implemented a variety of
adhoc solutions to support communication between these servers. Eg.
SSH, passing data through databases, even via FTPed files.

Obviously a proper messaging solution would be ideal both in terms of
security and functionality. Because of the distributed nature of our
network we require the ability to place redundant "brokers" in each
regional data center to form a distributed, fault tolerant, messaging
bus. As I understand it from the dev mailing list, the brokers
currently do not have this feature completely implemented, could
someone confirm that for me?

Nolan

Re: Qpid for a distributed fault tolerant message bus

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
Nolan Hurlburt wrote:
> We're exploring using qpid as the messaging solution for our network.
> Currently it consists of a handful of regional datacentres running
> propriety server applications on Linux. We've implemented a variety of
> adhoc solutions to support communication between these servers. Eg.
> SSH, passing data through databases, even via FTPed files.
>
> Obviously a proper messaging solution would be ideal both in terms of
> security and functionality. Because of the distributed nature of our
> network we require the ability to place redundant "brokers" in each
> regional data center to form a distributed, fault tolerant, messaging
> bus. As I understand it from the dev mailing list, the brokers
> currently do not have this feature completely implemented, could
> someone confirm that for me?
>
> Nolan

Nolan,

It looks like you want to look at the federation features that have been
done on
trunk on AMQP 0-10. These have been done for another user. If you like I
can
help you getting it going. Feedback on this would be great, I was
testing this feature
two week ago and I expect that this area will be hardened by M3.
Everything you
need above should be included in M3. The FT module Alan is working on + the
federation.

There are few rough edges still on federation, which I can list for you
if you want to give it a spin. I can also send you a util to help setup
routes.

let me know,
Carl.