Posted to asp@perl.apache.org by Farshid Dabesh-Khoy <fa...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2003/06/07 19:53:33 UTC

CPAN and Apache::ASP question

Hi,

This may seem like a trivial question to some, but I am trying to
install Bundle::Apache::ASP through CPAN.

Where is the Apache::ASP bundle meant to be installed??? Is it meant to
be installed into the directory where I have installed Apache? I am a
bit uncomfortable with the fact that CPAN just installs the modules into
directories of its own choice. How can I tell it where to install them.

I am using Apache 2.0.46 with mod_perl enabled on Solaris 2.8.

I am very new to all this, so I'm sorry if I am missing something quite
trivial.

Regards

Farshid Dabesh-Khoy

Re: CPAN and Apache::ASP question

Posted by Warren Young <wa...@etr-usa.com>.
Farshid Dabesh-Khoy wrote:
> I am a
> bit uncomfortable with the fact that CPAN just installs the modules into
> directories of its own choice.

It's not important for _you_ to be able to find the modules, it's
important for _Perl_ to be able to find them.  Therefore, CPAN puts
modules into directories where Perl will look for them.

 > How can I tell it where to install them.

Depending on the way the package is structured, it may be possible for
you to tell it to install into a directory of your choice without too
much trouble.  You will then have to make special efforts when using
that module to tell Perl where to find it.

Is it really worth the pain?

Re: CPAN and Apache::ASP question

Posted by Philip Mak <pm...@aaanime.net>.
On Sat, Jun 07, 2003 at 06:53:33PM +0100, Farshid Dabesh-Khoy wrote:
> Where is the Apache::ASP bundle meant to be installed??? Is it meant
> to be installed into the directory where I have installed Apache? I
> am a bit uncomfortable with the fact that CPAN just installs the
> modules into directories of its own choice. How can I tell it where
> to install them.

Apache::ASP should work if let CPAN install it in the place that it
wants to, which should be something like
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Bundle/Apache/ASP.pm.

That is the standard place to put all Perl modules, including
Apache::ASP.