Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2011/06/23 02:26:19 UTC

Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists

At the Apache Software Foundation everything should happen on a public mailing list. [1]

Since the wikis are not mailing lists we need take advantage of confluences ability to email notifications. This will make Wiki changes transparent to the whole community. [2]

There are two options. An email with every change or a daily digest.

For the Community Forum (OOOUSER) I propose that a daily digest be sent to ooo-dev@incubator.a.o.

For the Developer Forum (OOODEV) I propose sending an email with every change to ooo-commits@incubator.a.o.

Lazy Consensus [3] will apply.

In consideration of our world wide audience I'll wait at least 36 hours before asking Infrastructure and the Incubator to help implement a wiki to email policy. It can be a different policy.

Regards,
Dave

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/lists.html
[3] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html#LazyConsensus

Re: Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Dave Fisher wrote:
> In light of this conversation I am changing the proposal to this:
>
> For both the Community Forum (OOOUSER) and the Developer Forum (OOODEV) I now propose sending an email with a daily digest to ooo-commits@incubator.a.o.
>
> This way those who want to oversee changes can do so, and in the same place where svn change emails go. (FYI -a website change sends three emails to that list.)
>
> For those who want to see recent changes in confluence, this is possible. Here is how:
>
> (1) Go to the Dashboard.
> (2) On the left find "Spaces:" and click on the "Team" tab.
> (3) On the "View Spaces for Team" pop-up menu select "ooo"
>
> Recent changes for both Wikis appear on the right -  a few, not 100.
>
> For those who want to get their own notifications - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/users/viewmyemailsettings.action
>
> Since the proposal has changed I will wait an additional 36 hours (for a total of 72) to see if Consensus is achieved.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

I feel that this is the best idea.  It will keep from flooding this list
with information that not all are interested in.

Andy

Re: Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> In light of this conversation I am changing the proposal to this:
>>
>> For both the Community Forum (OOOUSER) and the Developer Forum (OOODEV) I now propose sending an email with a daily digest to ooo-commits@incubator.a.o.
>>
>> This way those who want to oversee changes can do so, and in the same place where svn change emails go. (FYI -a website change sends three emails to that list.)
+1

--
DiGro

Windows 7 and OpenOffice.org 3.3
Scanned with Ziggo uitgebreide Internetbeveiliging (F-Secure)

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In light of this conversation I am changing the proposal to this:
>
> For both the Community Forum (OOOUSER) and the Developer Forum (OOODEV) I now propose sending an email with a daily digest to ooo-commits@incubator.a.o.
>
> This way those who want to oversee changes can do so, and in the same place where svn change emails go. (FYI -a website change sends three emails to that list.)

+1

-Rob

Re: Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@tutopia.com>.
Sounds fine to me ...

I do like to review the commit archives, even when I don't
subscribe there directly.

Pedro.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <r....@gmx.ch>.
Hi

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 23 June 2011 01:26, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In consideration of our world wide audience I'll wait at least 36 hours before asking Infrastructure and the Incubator to help implement a wiki to email policy. It can be a different policy.

There are no rules on these things but we usually allow 72 hours to
allow people to be busy on other things. However, in a case like this
one, which is very easily reversible and not likely to cause any harm
whatsoever if it needs to be reversed less than 72 hours is fine.

Ross

Re: Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
TJ Frazier wrote:
> On 6/22/2011 21:35, Rob Weir wrote:
>> Could we do daily digests for both?
>>
>> I realize that there may be some project members who want to get every
>> update, as it happens, from the wiki.  But that is already available
>> to us individually, by the "watch" feature in Confluence.  Any of us
>> can subscribe to updates of a given page, or even all updates in an
>> entire space.
>>
>> I think that would give a better balance.
>>
>> Maybe someone familiar with the OOo website can give some sense of the
>> number of wiki updates they get per day?
>>
>> -Rob
> The current OO.o wiki is MediaWiki-powered. As a sysop, I spend some
> time reviewing the "Recent Changes" list. A setting of "most recent 100"
> usually lets me see all of today's and some of yesterday's changes.
>
> Lately (since the Apache announcement) the traffic has fallen way off,
> but we still see an average of six or eight new user sign-ups every day.
> Most of those never make any contributions.
>
> (I would offer my services over here as a sysop, but I don't know much
> about Confusion wikis and Meltdown syntax – well, something like that...
> I suppose I can learn.) --/tj/

Hi TJ, glsd to see you here. :)

Andy

Re: Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists

Posted by C <sm...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 04:59, TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>> Maybe someone familiar with the OOo website can give some sense of the
>> number of wiki updates they get per day?
>>
>> -Rob
>
> The current OO.o wiki is MediaWiki-powered. As a sysop, I spend some time
> reviewing the "Recent Changes" list. A setting of "most recent 100" usually
> lets me see all of today's and some of yesterday's changes.

I do the same.  It's a very nice way to "pull" the changes rather than
pushing out all changes to everyone on a mailing list.  Can't
Confluence provide the same?

> Lately (since the Apache announcement) the traffic has fallen way off, but
> we still see an average of six or eight new user sign-ups every day. Most of
> those never make any contributions.

And of those average 6 or 8 new users, it seems to break down to 4 who
are likely spammers (but are usually blocked by the spam traps), 1 is
a legit user, and 3 are new to OOo who think they need a Wiki account
to read Wiki content.

Clayton

Re: Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
I appreciate that.  But I also suspect that with 1,000 change
notifications per day, no oversight at all will occur.

So given the scale of the anticipated wiki, how do we get the maximum
actual oversight?

-Rob

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:
> Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>> I personally would prefer not to receive them.
>> Please make sure they are easy to filter: some
>> header like [Wiki digest] ..., at least.
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Pedro.
>
> Agreed.

Not directed an anyone in particular, but the essential difference
between the role of committer and the role of a member of a PMC is
that a committer does his or her own thing, but a PMC member is
responsible for oversight:

http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#audience

> Andy

- Sam Ruby

Re: Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> I personally would prefer not to receive them.
> Please make sure they are easy to filter: some
> header like [Wiki digest] ..., at least.
>
> cheers,
>
> Pedro.

Agreed.

Andy

Re: Sending Wiki Notifications to Mailing Lists

Posted by "Pedro F. Giffuni" <gi...@yahoo.com>.