Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Dong Mo <mo...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/31 18:55:39 UTC

Is it possible to have congestion collapse in Storm?

Dear list,

I was wondering what is the best practice to do synchronization in storm or
is it possible to have congestion collapse in Storm?

Say I have a spout-boltA-boltB topo and the boltB happen to be very slow.
Bolt A is emitting data much faster than Bolt B can process. If I do
nothing, will failure handling mechanism be triggered and Bolt A will put
all things not acked to Bolt B again and further burden the system. Finally
Bolt A become slow due to the accumulated queue and Spout A will trigger
tuple retransmitting too and the whole system fails.

Is that possible to happen?

Thanks
-Mo Dong

Re: Is it possible to have congestion collapse in Storm?

Posted by Dong Mo <mo...@gmail.com>.
found the answer.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/storm-user/congestion
Thanks