Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Joe Dowd <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2000/11/08 18:54:31 UTC

searchable topic

A while back someone mentioned that there was going to be a way to search
thru past Struts developer questions/answers.  If this facility exists would
someone be so kind to let me know how to access it.

Thanks
jd

http://profiles.msn.com.

File upload taglib doesn't compile under tomcat 3.2

Posted by Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>.
This error comes from compiling the newly submitted upload tag
library: I think uses a servlet 2.3 method, so it should be
replaced by some equivalent legal 2.2 solution.

-----
    [javac] Compiling 6 source files to /p/import/build/struts/library/classes
    [javac] /p/import/jakarta-struts/src/share/org/apache/struts/upload/DiskMultipartRequestHandler.java:92: cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : method getTempDir  ()
    [javac] location: class org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
    [javac]         String tempDir = servlet.getTempDir();
    [javac]                                 ^
    [javac] 1 error
-----
                                                       incze

Re: The Struts question

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

structs@hotmail.com wrote:

>  Hi There:
>  I get a question regarding for the struts structure.
>
>  We have existing web based software have our own structures.
>
>             Root
>
>                        Bin
>
>                         Classes (Class files)
>
>                         Docs
>
>                         Src
>
>                         Web (JSP pages)
>
>                         Runtime
>
>                         Conf (Configuration files)
>
>                         Lib (Library)
>
>                         Logs
>
>  But the struts will ask some structures like this.
>
>              Root
>
>                         WEB-INF
>
>                                     Classes
>
>                                     Jsp
>
>                                     Lib
>
>                                     Session
>
>                                     (JSP pages)
>
>                         META-INF

I am not sure whether the tabbing in the diagram above is correct or not, but
JSP pages in the struts example application, as well as most other web apps, are
under the directory you have labelled "Root", rather than being inside the
WEB-INF directory.

> The question comes down is, we want to use struts in our system, but we don'
> t want to change our system structures. I recognize the struts pickup the
> web.xml like default configuration files from WEB-INF directory, and
> hardcode action.xml in action.java. If anybody has similar condition like
> this, please help.

You might want to review the servlet specification, version 2.2, which you can
download from <http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html>.  This
document dictates the organization of files within a web application, and it's
done this way for some very good reasons.

For many of the Struts-specific issues related to file location (such as where
the "action.xml" file is found), there are usually initialization parameters for
the controller servlet that you can customize.  However, you will generally want
to keep configuration files under the WEB-INF directory, because the servlet
container is not allowed to serve these files directly to clients.  If you put
"action.xml" under the root directory, for example, a user could type:

    http://www.yourcompany.com/yourapp/action.xml

and learn a lot of sensitive things about how your application is organized.

> I really looking forward to use this MVC structure in our software.
>
> Thanks

Craig McClanahan

Re: The Struts question

Posted by st...@hotmail.com.
Thanks, I will rethink about the structure a little bit.

Frank Ling

>  I get a question regarding for the struts structure.
>
>  We have existing web based software have our own structures.
>
>             Root
>
>                        Bin
>
>                         Classes (Class files)
>
>                         Docs
>
>                         Src
>
>                         Web (JSP pages)
>
>                         Runtime
>
>                         Conf (Configuration files)
>
>                         Lib (Library)
>
>                         Logs
>
>  But the struts will ask some structures like this.
>
>              Root
>
>                         WEB-INF
>
>                                     Classes
>
>                                     Jsp
>
>                                     Lib
>
>                                     Session
>
>                                     (JSP pages)
>
>                         META-INF
>
> The question comes down is, we want to use struts in our system, but we
don'
> t want to change our system structures. I recognize the struts pickup the
> web.xml like default configuration files from WEB-INF directory, and
> hardcode action.xml in action.java. If anybody has similar condition like
> this, please help.
>
> I really looking forward to use this MVC structure in our software.
>
> Thanks

The Struts question

Posted by st...@hotmail.com.