Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ian Petzer <ia...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/14 12:10:20 UTC

Webapp classpath issues in multi-module project

Hi,

We have a Maven project that is laid out as

./domainModule
./serviceModule
./baseModule (with parent pom)
./webAppModule
./module4

We can successfully generate eclipse projects for the module using mvn
eclipse:eclipse from the baseModule which sets up the classpath
correctly in eclipse with the separate eclipse projects depending on
each other correctly. The classes in the webAppModule are able to see
the classes from other modules within the development environment.

However when we try to run the webapp within Eclipse, we get
ClassNotFoundExceptions when the code attempts to reference our
classes which are in the domainModule or serviceModule.

Strangely enough if I run mvn eclipse:eclipse from the webAppModule
directory so that the eclipse project has dependencies on the snapshot
jars in the local repo then the exact same code in the webAppModule
works fine.

It seems the problem is to do with eclipse resolving the classpath
dependencies on other projects, not really a Maven issue but I'm at a
loss as to where else to pose this question.

Any ideas?

I'm using eclipse 3.4

I've configured wtp as follows:

			<plugin>
				<artifactId>maven-eclipse-plugin</artifactId>
				<configuration>
					<downloadSources>true</downloadSources>
					<wtpversion>2.0</wtpversion>
				</configuration>