Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Vladimir Melnik <v....@uplink.ua> on 2017/02/17 18:53:14 UTC

Using CentOS-6.x on KVM-hosts - what are the threats?

Dear colleagues,

I've just realized that my KVM-hosts are running CentOS-6 whilst it's
recommended to use CentOS-7 with the new versions of ACS. Everything
seems to be fine (some of these hosts are working for a few years),
hosts are working and things are great, but I'd like to ask a couple of
questions. Here they are.

(1) How high is the chance of the next version of ACS (4.10 or 4.11)
will be incompatible with CentOS-6? Should I worry about that and
consider upgrading to CentOS-7 immediately?

(2) What ACS features I'm missing because of that? I suppose that I'll
be disappointed if I try to limit a VM's IO-consumption, just because
old good QEMU-0.9 won't support it. Am I right? Are there other things
that are worth of upgraging to CentOS-7?

Thank you very much in advance for your replies!

--
V.Melnik

Re: Using CentOS-6.x on KVM-hosts - what are the threats?

Posted by Simon Weller <sw...@ena.com>.
Vladimir,

To answer your immediate question, I don't think you're at major risk by staying on Centos 6 in the medium term. Centos 6 will be supported by Centos until Nov 30th, 2020. In terms of what ACS will support, I don't think it has been discussed on the list for a while. There will be a point at which it won't make sense based on the the lack of features available and personally I think we might be starting to get close. As of 4.9, we now have a LTS release out and that most likely will be the release most Centos 6 users will stay on.

We have been running Centos 7 hosts now for a while and it's a lot more stable in our opinion and just works out of the box, especially with storage backends such as Ceph.

If you've been running Centos 6 for a few years,  you might be be getting close to a hardware refresh anyway. If you are, you could build a new Centos 7 based cluster and them migrate primary storage to a new cluster.

- Si

Posted by Vladimir Melnik <v....@uplink.ua>.
Thank you for this article, your piece of advice helped me very much some time ago and I always install cloud-qemu-img to each host since 2014 when I had moved from 2.2 to 4.2 :)

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
This might still be an issue