Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io> on 2017/05/26 14:03:39 UTC

KIP-162: Enable topic deletion by default

Hi Kafka developers, users and friends,

I've added a KIP to improve our out-of-the-box usability a bit:
KIP-162: Enable topic deletion by default:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-162+-+Enable+topic+deletion+by+default

Pretty simple :) Discussion and feedback are welcome.

Gwen

Re: KIP-162: Enable topic deletion by default

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On May 26, 2017, at 1:10 PM, Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Gwen, thanks for the KIP.
> It looks good to me.
>
> Just a minor suggestion: It would be great if the command asks for a
> confirmation (y/n) before deleting the topic (similar to how removing ACLs
> works).

+1 (or some sort of 'force' option to bypass the
query)

Re: KIP-162: Enable topic deletion by default

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io>.
+1

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io>.
+1

Posted by Sandeep Nemuri <nh...@gmail.com>.
+1

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 6:57 AM, Vahid S Hashemian <

--
*  Regards*
*  Sandeep Nemuri*

Re: KIP-162: Enable topic deletion by default

Posted by Sandeep Nemuri <nh...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
*  Regards*
*  Sandeep Nemuri*

Re: KIP-162: Enable topic deletion by default

Posted by Abhimanyu Nagrath <ab...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bi...@confluent.io>.
+1

Posted by Damian Guy <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Damian Guy <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
+1

From:   Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org, users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   05/27/2017 11:04 AM
Subject:        Re: KIP-162: Enable topic deletion by default

From:   Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org, users@kafka.apache.org
Date:   05/27/2017 11:04 AM

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Thanks Vahid,

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Thanks Vahid,

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
This KIP only changes a configuration default, so the two changes seem
independent to me.

And since both changes will be included in the release following 0.11
(October) and no sooner, I don't know if the order matters that much.

Am I missing anything regarding KAFKA-4893 that means KIP-162 isn't as
simple as I assume?

Gwen

Posted by Onur Karaman <on...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Agreed and updated the KIP accordingly. Thank you!

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: KIP-162: Enable topic deletion by default

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Tom Crayford <tc...@heroku.com>.