Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Frank A <fs...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/07 02:38:33 UTC

solr configuration for local search

Hi,

I'm playing with SOLR as the search engine for my local search site.  I'm
primarily focused on restaurants right now.  I'm working with the following
data attributes:

Name - Restaurant name
Cuisine - a list of 1 or more cusines, e.g. Italian, Pizza
Features - a list of 1 or more features - Open Late, Take-Out
Tags - a list of 1 or more freeform, open entry tags

I want the site to allow searches by name e.g. "Jake's Pizza" as well as
more general "pizza" and even something like "take-out pizza".  I'd also
like to handle variations, "takeout" "carryout" and spelling issues.

I've started with the out of the box text definition and cloned it for
cuisines, features and tags.  For name I've left it as a string and then
created a copyTo field for the phoentic value of Name.  My "text" catch-all
has all the fields copied to it.  Finally, I implemented spell check as
well.

The search seems to work pretty well based on some initial testing but I
feel like I'm missing something.  I'm curious as to any advice around some
missing features I should be utilizing or steps that I've missed etc...

The steps I was planning:
- Update the stopwords to contain certain adjectives ("good" "best", etc).
- Create synonyms for features and cuisines

All thoughts/comments/advice is really appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: solr configuration for local search

Posted by Avlesh Singh <av...@gmail.com>.
They is me!

Yes, multiple queries are being fired (though concurrently) for fetching
suggestion. You would probably want to take this off the list with me for
questions, if any.

Cheers
Avlesh
http://webklipper.com