Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by David McKee <da...@filemaker.com> on 2018/01/11 21:06:36 UTC

Xalan, Windows, and https

Hi all!,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I am grasping at straws at this point.

Does Xalan-C support xslt transforms from a https url on Windows?

I'm a developer working on a commercial database product, we're using Xerces-C 3.11 and Xalan-C 1.11 on Windows. When exporting our data as XML and using a xslt transform via a url, if that url is using https we get back an error of "SAXParseException: unsupported protocol in URL".  If the url is changed to use http, everything works as expected.   Our product is multi-platform, and using Xerces 3.1.1 and Xalan 1.11 on macOS works fine with either http or https.

We are calling XalanTransformer::transform( (xmlpath), (xslpath - a https url), (ofstream out var) ), which returns -2 as its result.  We then call XalanTransformer::getLastError() which returns the exception text I referenced above.

Perhaps if it is supported, there is some compile option we are missing?

Unfortunately, my google-foo has failed me, and I don't know if this is even supported. In this security-sensitive world, telling our customers that they must only use http won't be acceptable in some cases.  We'd like to also support them using https on Windows.

Any information, solutions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Re: Xalan, Windows, and https

Posted by Bill Blough <de...@blough.us>.
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 01:06:36PM -0800, David McKee wrote:

> "SAXParseException: unsupported protocol in URL".

I think this exception is actually from xerces (which xalan uses for
parsing). If I remember correctly, the default net accessor for xerces
is a simple socket interface which doesn't support https.  To get https
support, you need to enable a different net accessor (such as libcurl or
winsock) at xerces build-time (via configure).

As long as xerces supports it, I think xalan should, too (though I haven't
tested it personally).

Hope that helps.

Bill