Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by David McNelis <dm...@agentisenergy.com> on 2011/07/11 15:41:45 UTC

Limit what nodes are writeable

I've been looking in the documentation and haven't found anything about
this...  but is there support for making a node  read-only?

For example, you have a cluster set up in two different data centers / racks
/ whatever, with your replication strategy set up so that the data is
redundant between the two places.  In one of the places all of the incoming
data will be  processed and inserted into your cluster.  In the other data
center you plan to allow people to run analytics, but you want to restrict
the permissions so that the people running analytics can connect to
Cassandra in whatever way makes the most sense for them, but you don't want
those people to be able to edit/update data.

Is it currently possible to configure your cluster in this manner?  Or would
it only be possible through a third-party solution like wrapping one of the
access libraries in a way that does not support write operations.

--
*David McNelis*
Lead Software Engineer

*A Smart Grid technology company focused on helping consumers of energy
control an often under-managed resource.*

Re: Limit what nodes are writeable

Posted by Yuki Morishita <mo...@gmail.com>.
I never used the feature, but there is the way to control access based
on user name.
Configuring both conf/passwd.properties and conf/access.properties, then
modify cassandra.yaml as follows.

# authentication backend, implementing IAuthenticator; used to identify users
authenticator: org.apache.cassandra.auth.SimpleAuthenticator

# authorization backend, implementing IAuthority; used to limit
access/provide permissions
authority: org.apache.cassandra.auth.SimpleAuthority

--
Yuki Morishita
 t:yukim (http://twitter.com/yukim)

Re: Limit what nodes are writeable