Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2006/03/28 22:00:35 UTC

User Feedback Request -- this means you!

So this is the first of what I think should be a quarterly event.
Geronimo is ultimately your project and we committers are but your
humble servants.  To serve you best, we need some critical high level
feedback to help us steer the project and focus on what matters most
to you!

Please, every user out there, give us your top 5 things we can do to
make Geronimo better for you.  Here is my list:

1)  More interaction with you guys, the users!
2)  More frequent releases incorporating more user feedback (small
releases more often vs. big releases only 4 times a year)
3)  Less deployment requirements (simpler plans, more defaults, etc.)
4)  More application validation at deployment
5)  More powerful text configuration

That's just to get the ball rolling.  More detail is always good if
you have the time.  In general anything you think we need to correct
as a community, technical or non-technical.  Let us know.

If you've ever uttered the words, "Geronimo would be such a great
project if it only...." then now is your time to shine.

We want to hear from everyone!  This is not just for the "hard-core"
Geronimo users or J2EE experts.  If you are new to J2EE and
downloaded Geronimo and had to give up after an hour of no progress,
let us know what we might do!

It's all about you.

Best Regards,
David Blevins

Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!

Posted by Stefan Schmidt <sc...@gmail.com>.
Ok, here are my priorities:

1) JDK 1.5 support
2) EJB 3
3) JAX-WS
4) more minor releases
5) More docs on GBeans (explaining its merits and implementation in
different scenarios)

Regards,

Stefan Schmidt

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
For everyone that listed "more documentation", can you be more
specific?  It will help us prioritize the effort to hit the most
important stuff first.

Thanks,

-dain

Posted by mikael-aronsson <mi...@telia.com>.
Same as below for me

Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!

Posted by Christian Stolz <ch...@janitza.de>.
Hi there,

here is my Top 5:

1. Support for JDK1.5
2. JAX-WS support
3. More documentation
4. NetBeans support
5. More frequent releases

Thanks Christian

Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
David Blevins schrieb:
> So this is the first of what I think should be a quarterly event.
> Geronimo is ultimately your project and we committers are but your
> humble servants.  To serve you best, we need some critical high level
> feedback to help us steer the project and focus on what matters most to
> you!

Two things:
Better db tools in the admin console
EJB3 support (at least javax.persistence)

Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.
I've updated the wiki with all the feedback (including the latest from
Toby and Rohit)..

http://opensource.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/display/GERONIMO/Geronimo+User+Requirements

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Sachin Patel wrote:
> Yes we should have both but I'm not sure if I agree with your second
> statement. :) I think JIRA should be the first place users should go
> to request a feature.  The wiki will never encapsulate all the work
> that needs to be done for a project.  JIRA tells us this.  Thus the
> wiki should be used to bundle the wish-list and associate them to the
> themes and priorities for a release.  I think trying to keep jiras and
> the wiki synchronized is invaluable and is unnecessary work.  The wiki
> should be the place where to look for what is planned for that
> release, and the discussions around and links to jiras/threads for
> those items. So the first step I think should be to open jira's and
> from there these can be sorted and prioritized and pushed up into the
> wiki, I don't think it should be the other way around.  There is alot
> of things that need to be cleaned up in current in JIRA and by using
> it as the first place for work items this forces us to maintain and
> constantly scub JIRA to provide an accurate indication of project status.
>
> thats by 2 cents :)
+1 - I always look in the JIRA records for a project (to get a picture
of its stability and priorities) before adopting it.  JIRA is a great
tool for prioritising and keeping track of work, lets not duplicate this
in the Wiki.

John

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Fair enough.  When I made the comment I was thinking about a user that was interested in helping out
or working on Geronimo.  I would expect them to look at the Wiki as opposed to mining in JIRAs.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Dave C, can you add this to the list.  It came up on the dev list the
yesterday as well.

-dain

Posted by Glaucio Scheibel <gl...@datasul.com.br>.
Ok, that's what I need:

1. Support for Java 5
2. Dynamic Queries
3. Remove the requirement of the openejb-jar.xml
4. Easier  way to  deploy  EAR Files
5. EJB 3 /JavaEE 5

Posted by Oli Kessler <ok...@ncode.ch>.
Here we go:

1. JDK 1.5
2. Better documentation (deployment descriptors, sample applications)
3. GBean improvements (doc, lifecycle, dependencies, dep. injection, ..)
4. Maven2 support
5. service/daemon wrapper

Cheers,
-ok

Re: User Feedback Request -- Usability Focus

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Apr 6, 2006, at 7:56 AM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> Thanks David B. for starting this valuable thread.

Thanks for following up, this is excellent!

-David

Posted by Dave Colasurdo <da...@earthlink.net>.

David Blevins wrote:
> So this is the first of what I think should be a quarterly event.
> Geronimo is ultimately your project and we committers are but your
> humble servants.  To serve you best, we need some critical high level
> feedback to help us steer the project and focus on what matters most to
> you!
>
> Please, every user out there, give us your top 5 things we can do to
> make Geronimo better for you.  Here is my list:
>
> 1)  More interaction with you guys, the users!
> 2)  More frequent releases incorporating more user feedback (small
> releases more often vs. big releases only 4 times a year)
> 3)  Less deployment requirements (simpler plans, more defaults, etc.)
> 4)  More application validation at deployment
> 5)  More powerful text configuration
>
> That's just to get the ball rolling.  More detail is always good if you
> have the time.  In general anything you think we need to correct as a
> community, technical or non-technical.  Let us know.
>
> If you've ever uttered the words, "Geronimo would be such a great
> project if it only...." then now is your time to shine.
>
> We want to hear from everyone!  This is not just for the "hard-core"
> Geronimo users or J2EE experts.  If you are new to J2EE and downloaded
> Geronimo and had to give up after an hour of no progress, let us know
> what we might do!
>

> It's all about you.
>

> Best Regards,
> David Blevins

Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
+1

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      Mario Rübsam
                      <mr@coderesearch.        To:       user@geronimo.apache.org
                      com>                     cc:
                      03/29/2006 03:15
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      user

Hi,

Jian Liao wrote:
> Setup something like JBoss Certified Partner Program
> <http://www.jboss.org/partners/program>. I would like to see Jetspeed-2
> joined Geronimo Certfied Partner Program:)
> It will encourage more program, opensource project to integrate with
> Geronimo.
>
> - Jian Liao

I really don't know why a partner program encourages integration.
There are some reasons why we moved to Geronimo. One is that certified
thingy, which brings more commercial pressure in development. I really
like the open documentation and discussion with geronimo community and
committers. No need for privileged certified partners.

-Mario

Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!

Posted by Mario Rübsam <mr...@coderesearch.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jian Liao <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mario Rübsam <mr...@coderesearch.com>.
Here my short list:

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Well, the *b* key is at least located next to the *n* key :)  My bad.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by toby cabot <to...@caboteria.org>.
Hi David!

Posted by Hossam Karim <hr...@gmail.com>.
Here you go,

1- Java 5.0 standard edition support
2- Java 5.0 standard edition support
3- Convince us with the GBean Architecture
4- Return back ServiceMix
5- At least EJB 3.0 and JAX-WS support

Thanks,
  Hossam Karim

[...]

I would at to the other requests:

      Support for JSR-168 (Portlet API)

If memory serves, the Geronimo Console is actually a Portal App, so this is
probably already implemented, but I didn't see this documented at
http://geronimo.apache.org (which doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't
documented, just that I couldn't find it).

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      Werner Punz
                      <we...@gmx.at>           To:       user@geronimo.apache.org
                      Sent by: news            cc:
                      <news@sea.gmane.o        Subject:  Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!
                      rg>

                      04/04/2006 05:54
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      user

Dain Sundstrom schrieb:
> On Mar 28, 2006, at 12:50 PM,
> ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:
>
>> 2) Implementation of J2EE 1.5 (or JEE 5 or whatever we're calling it
>> these
>> days)
>
> JEE 5 is a huge cacophony of specifications. Can you be more specific
> about which specs you would like to see finished first?

javax.persistence
and the annotated session beans.

JSF is probably a plug and play anyway so no reason to have
that one there ;-)

Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Dain Sundstrom schrieb:
> On Mar 28, 2006, at 12:50 PM,
> ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:
>
>> 2) Implementation of J2EE 1.5 (or JEE 5 or whatever we're calling it
>> these
>> days)
>
> JEE 5 is a huge cacophony of specifications. Can you be more specific
> about which specs you would like to see finished first?

javax.persistence
and the annotated session beans.

JSF is probably a plug and play anyway so no reason to have
that one there ;-)

Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
This is my personal order based on 1) what I'm using today, and 2) Where I
see potential for use in the near future.  Obviously, others will have
their own priorities.

1) Java Servlet 2.5
2) Java ServerPages 2.1
3) Java ServerPages Standard Tag Library
4) Java Persistence Architecture (is this part of Java EE?)
5) Java Transaction API (JTA)
6) J2EE Management
7) Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0
8) J2EE Connector Architecture

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart
Phone: (614) 244-2564
Pager: (888) 260-0078

                      Dain Sundstrom
                      <da...@iq80.com>          To:       user@geronimo.apache.org
                                               cc:
                      03/28/2006 04:05         Subject:  Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      user

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Mar 28, 2006, at 12:50 PM, ian.d.stewart@jpmchase.com wrote:

> 2) Implementation of J2EE 1.5 (or JEE 5 or whatever we're calling
> it these
> days)

JEE 5 is a huge cacophony of specifications. Can you be more specific
about which specs you would like to see finished first?

-dain

Re: User Feedback Request -- this means you!

Posted by ia...@jpmchase.com.
Here are my top five, with the caveat that the order does not necessarily
reflect relative priority, just the order that I think of them:

1) Support for JDK1.5 (both for Geronimo itself and the Geronimo Eclipse
Plugin)
2) Implementation of J2EE 1.5 (or JEE 5 or whatever we're calling it these
days)
3) Migration path from Tomcat to Geronimo
4) More Documentation (HOWTO's, Tutorials, Cookbooks, etc)
5) And I'll go ahead and second David's #2, more frequent minor releases

Ian

It's better to be hated for who you are
than loved for who you are not

Ian D. Stewart