Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/27 15:33:01 UTC

[ALL] consistent website page titles

Our website page titles are currently rather inconsistent:

For example, sample LANG titles are as follows
Lang - Home (on index page):
Lang - Building
Lang - Download Commons Lang
Lang - Home (this is on the release history page!)

And NET
Commons Net - Apache Commons Net

I think it would be clearer if the first part of the title (defined in
the site.xml project name attribute) were always "Apache Commons Foo",
and individual pages would then not need to mention the component name
again, just the content of the page. For example, LANG page titles
would become:

Apache Commons Lang - Home
Apache Commons Lang - Building
Apache Commons Lang - Release History

etc.

I don't think there's any need to fix this retrospectively, but it
would be good to fix this for new site depoloyments.

Re: [ALL] consistent website page titles

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
+1 I agree with consistency
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I would rather have a shorter title like :
>
>   Commons Foo - Page name
>
> Thus the name of the component is likely to be fully visible on a browser
> tab. Otherwise you would see "Apache Commons ..." and wouldn't be able to
> figure the project on this tab.

+1

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 27 March 2011 17:40, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> I would rather have a shorter title like :
>
>   Commons Foo - Page name
>
> Thus the name of the component is likely to be fully visible on a browser
> tab. Otherwise you would see "Apache Commons ..." and wouldn't be able to
> figure the project on this tab.

That is a nuisance, however so is a page title that does not properly
identify the contents.

Maybe there is a clever way to condense the title for use with tabs?

> The Apache brand could be brought by adding a favicon on the pages.

Hwoever, I'm not sure that fulfils the branding requirements.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
+1

On 2011-03-27 15:33, sebb wrote:
> Our website page titles are currently rather inconsistent:
>
> For example, sample LANG titles are as follows
> Lang - Home (on index page):
> Lang - Building
> Lang - Download Commons Lang
> Lang - Home (this is on the release history page!)
>
> And NET
> Commons Net - Apache Commons Net
>
> I think it would be clearer if the first part of the title (defined in
> the site.xml project name attribute) were always "Apache Commons Foo",
> and individual pages would then not need to mention the component name
> again, just the content of the page. For example, LANG page titles
> would become:
>
> Apache Commons Lang - Home
> Apache Commons Lang - Building
> Apache Commons Lang - Release History
>
> etc.
>
> I don't think there's any need to fix this retrospectively, but it
> would be good to fix this for new site depoloyments.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [ALL] consistent website page titles

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
The last time I tried to deploy Sandbox Convert, nothing happened. I
think the recent Maven changes may have affected something. I would be
happy to update the site otherwise.

-Adrian

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 27, 2011, at 9:33, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Our website page titles are currently rather inconsistent:
>
> For example, sample LANG titles are as follows
> Lang - Home (on index page):
> Lang - Building
> Lang - Download Commons Lang
> Lang - Home (this is on the release history page!)
>
> And NET
> Commons Net - Apache Commons Net
>
> I think it would be clearer if the first part of the title (defined in
> the site.xml project name attribute) were always "Apache Commons Foo",
> and individual pages would then not need to mention the component name
> again, just the content of the page. For example, LANG page titles
> would become:
>
> Apache Commons Lang - Home
> Apache Commons Lang - Building
> Apache Commons Lang - Release History
>
> etc.
>
> I don't think there's any need to fix this retrospectively, but it
> would be good to fix this for new site depoloyments.

+1
Gary