Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@roguewave.com> on 2005/12/07 23:11:20 UTC

makefiles issues

Martin,

This one is not working with any targets when invoked anew from TOPDIR:

#   $ make [ BUILDTYPE=<build-type> ] \
#          [ BUILDDIR=<build-dir> ] \
#          [ CONFIG=<config-file> ] \
#          [ PHDIR=<plumhall-testsuite-source-dir> ]
#          [ <targets> ]

AFAICT the comments describing the targets seem to have typos:

# From $TOPDIR or $BUILDDIR to configure if necessary and build the lib,
# tests, plumhall testsuite, and examples:
#
#   $ make [ lib ] ....

vs.

#   Targets:
#
#   ..............
#
#   libstd    - builds the library

Liviu

Re: makefiles issues

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Liviu Nicoara wrote:
> Martin Sebor wrote:
>
>>I see. I'm not sure whether this ever worked or that it was intended
>>to. The current behavior, when no target is specified, is to create
>>BUILDDIR and try to build everything. I suppose specifying a target
>>would let us build just the specified target (and its dependencies),
>>which would be useful. Would you mind opening an issue in Jira for
>>this?
>

> I would but I can't see an appropriate section in JIRA for it -
> something which would spell "Infrastructure". Could you please create it
> or direct me to the appropriate existent one?

You mean the appropriate Component? This issue belongs under Build
(just like STDCXX-18 and STDCXX-80).

Martin

Re: makefiles issues

Posted by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@roguewave.com>.
Martin Sebor wrote:
> I see. I'm not sure whether this ever worked or that it was intended
> to. The current behavior, when no target is specified, is to create
> BUILDDIR and try to build everything. I suppose specifying a target
> would let us build just the specified target (and its dependencies),
> which would be useful. Would you mind opening an issue in Jira for
> this?

I would but I can't see an appropriate section in JIRA for it -
something which would spell "Infrastructure". Could you please create it
or direct me to the appropriate existent one?

Thanks,
Liviu

Re: makefiles issues

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Liviu Nicoara wrote:
[...]
> When invoked from TOPDIR, e.g.:
>
> $ pwd
>
> /build/nicoara/dev/stdlib
>
> $ make BUILDDIR=/build/nicoara/11s-stdlib-gnu BUILDTYPE=11s
> CONFIG=gcc.config lib

I see. I'm not sure whether this ever worked or that it was intended
to. The current behavior, when no target is specified, is to create
BUILDDIR and try to build everything. I suppose specifying a target
would let us build just the specified target (and its dependencies),
which would be useful. Would you mind opening an issue in Jira for
this? See STDCXX-18 or STDCXX-80 for examples of similar issues and
what to put in them:
     http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-18
     http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STDCXX-80

In addition to copying the text of the email to the issue it's good
to cross-reference the discussion on the list. Here's a link to your
post in the archives:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-stdcxx-dev/200512.mbox/%3c43976334.3000600@roguewave.com%3e

Thanks
Martin

Re: makefiles issues

Posted by Liviu Nicoara <ni...@roguewave.com>.

Re: makefiles issues

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Liviu Nicoara wrote:
> Martin,
>
> This one is not working with any targets when invoked anew from TOPDIR:
>
> #   $ make [ BUILDTYPE=<build-type> ] \
> #          [ BUILDDIR=<build-dir> ] \
> #          [ CONFIG=<config-file> ] \
> #          [ PHDIR=<plumhall-testsuite-source-dir> ]
> #          [ <targets> ]

I'm not sure I understand what exactly is not working. Can you show
the actual command and the output?

> AFAICT the comments describing the targets seem to have typos:
>
> # From $TOPDIR or $BUILDDIR to configure if necessary and build the lib,
> # tests, plumhall testsuite, and examples:

I assume you're referring to the top level makefile:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stdcxx/trunk/GNUmakefile

> #
> #   $ make [ lib ] ....
>
> vs.
>
> #   Targets:
> #
> #
> #   libstd    - builds the library

Yep, I see the typo, thanks for pointing it out! The correct name
of the target is lib (it used to be libstd but the name was changed
in http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi?rev=292372&view=rev). A patch
correcting it would be most welcome! :)

Martin