Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Min Zhou <co...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/15 08:23:40 UTC

how can I locate the error when test failed?

When test failed,  we only see only see  message like below
    [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Client execution results
failed with error code = 1
    [junit]     at junit.framework.Assert.fail(Assert.java:47)
    [junit]     at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.TestCliDriver.testCliDriver_udf_reverse(TestCliDriver.java:10692)
    ... ommit

we don't know the reason why failed, how can i find it ?

Thanks,
Min

bytecode based virtual machine.

My profile:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/coderplay
My blog:
http://coderplay.javaeye.com

RE: how can I locate the error when test failed?

Posted by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com>.
Error reporting is really bad for execution time errors. One of the reasons is that in the unit tests we use MapReduceTask.java to run the map/red job and that does it by calling the hadoop script to launch the job. This may go away if the test is run in MiniMR mode but I have seen such cryptic messages when execution fails on production nodes as well.

Ashish

________________________________

Posted by Zheng Shao <zs...@gmail.com>.
Hi Min,

Try remove build/ql/tmp/hive.log and rerun the test by specifying the
-Dtestcase=xxx.

If it's TestCliDriver, you can specify -Dqfile=yyy.q for running only
that qfile, and -Dtest.silent=false will produce more error messages
for map-reduce jobs.

Zheng

--
Yours,
Zheng

Re: how can I locate the error when test failed?

Posted by Min Zhou <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by He Yongqiang <he...@software.ict.ac.cn>.