Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/08 19:11:39 UTC

Re: XSL-FO 2.0 ?

Hi Craig,

On 29/02/12 07:52, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> As part of reading and research on support for features I need like more
> flexible column spans, copyfitting, space-conditional alternative content,
> run-arounds, and non-square page masters, I've stumbled across the XSL-FO 2.0
> requirements draft. It seems to specify everything I need:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20-req/
>
> It was was published in March 2008, and I don't see any working draft of an
> XSL-FO 2.0 specification as yet.

A Working Draft of XSL-FO 2.0 has actually recently been published:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20/

> I'm finding more and more things where I'm having to break out of the XSL-FO
> model to post-process the area tree in order to achieve what I want. It's
> getting to the point where I'm questioning whether it's worth using XSL-FO at
> all for my processes, despite my requirements being relatively simple things
> like vertical space copyfitting with conditional spacer content where
> required, reserving blank areas on specific pages, etc.

Well the standard is one thing, its implementation another. I suppose
you just have to go for the tool that best suits your needs, be it based
on XSL-FO or something else.

> I haven't seen any discussion of XSL-FO 2.0 here, perhaps unsurprisingly given
> that fop doesn't have full 1.1 support yet.
>
> Has anyone here been looking at XSL-FO 2.0? I'm really eyeing features from
> XSL-FO 2.0 like:
>
> - Adjustible region sizes
> - n-column spans
> - n-column floats (to use with conditional content to match page numbers)
> - copyfitting (especially feathering) and space-conditional content
> - Text/content before or after a break
> - Column balancing
> - Spanning columns in nested formatting objects
>
> Anyone know anything about FO 2.0, progress, people interested, etc? How are
> others handling these sorts of things?

ATM progress on the XSL-FO 2.0 Recommendation is going very slowly due
to a dramatically under-staffed Working Group. It’s unclear when (and
whether) the official Recommendation will be published.

A community group has just been started at the W3C (see my other message
on this subject) with the goal to raise interest in XSL-FO and attract
more people.

HTH,
Vincent