Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it.INVALID> on 2023/08/25 14:50:17 UTC

OT: where does JSTL set thsi cookie? javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.request.charset

Hi, I understand that this question can be OT but I don't know where to
search for.

Looking into tomcat manager sessions I see this cookie set in each session

     javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.request.charset     ISO-8859-1

The value ISO-8859-1 i set even though the file encoding of the java
launch option is set to UTF-8

There is someone who knows how JSTL decides the value of the cookie?

Or can you point me to some useful resource?

--

Archimede Informatica tratta i dati personali in conformità a quanto
stabilito dal Regolamento UE n. 2016/679 (GDPR) e dal D. Lgs. 30 giugno

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti

Archimede Informatica società cooperativa a r. l.
Via Gereschi 36, 56127 Pisa

tel.: +39 050/580959 | fax: +39 050/8932061

web: www.archicoop.it
linkedin: www.linkedin.com/in/ivanoluberti
facebook: www.facebook.com/archimedeinformaticapisa/

Re: OT: where does JSTL set thsi cookie? javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.request.charset

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it.INVALID>.
Thank you all, and particularly to Thomas who pointed me to the answer.

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it.INVALID>.
Progressing in my seach for a solution on how to deal with character
encoding in Tomcat request and responses I have found this very useful link

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/Character+Encoding

I thought it was sensible to mention here since is not in the
traditional Tomcat docs but is nonetheles official documentation

---------

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Ivano,

On 8/25/23 10:50, Ivano Luberti wrote:
> Hi, I understand that this question can be OT but I don't know where to
> search for.
>
> Looking into tomcat manager sessions I see this cookie set in each session
>
>      javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.request.charset     ISO-8859-1
>
> The value ISO-8859-1 i set even though the file encoding of the java
> launch option is set to UTF-8

The JVM's charset probably doesn't matter at all. What matters is the
charset that client is using for a particular request. I'm not sure why
JSTL bothers to set a cookie for this value. It should be available in
every request.

-chris

AW: where does JSTL set thsi cookie? javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.request.charset

Posted by "Thomas Hoffmann (Speed4Trade GmbH)" <Th...@speed4trade.com.INVALID>.
Hello,

Tomcat can use different cookie processors:
<CookieProcessor className="xxx" />

Maybe you can take a look at the different classes.
Traditional cookie names are 8859-1 encoded.

Greetings, Thomas