Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Tim Dawson <td...@yahoo.com> on 2002/01/21 23:42:40 UTC

deprecating taglibs that will have standard taglib equivalents

The i18n taglib will be mostly replaced by tags in the standard taglib. I
was able to provide some input into the shape of the i18n components of the
standard taglib. At this point, I'll personally be migrating my own projects
to the standard taglib and I expect most everybody else will do so as well.

The question is: how do we want to go about doing deprecating this taglib
and others that are similarly being obsoleted? Clearly the tags need to
still be built and supported for JSP 1.1 users, but we need to make sure
they are clearly deprecated so that future users go to the standard taglib
equivalents.

Mostly I'd think this would be done with documentation, on the website, in
the tld, in the code, etc. We'd need a standard message for consistency in
pointing users to the new location of the standard taglib. We should also
probably show some examples of old tag/new tag use cases. I know the i18n
formatting tags have definately changed in places, and a few of the i18n
tags aren't being replicated in the standard taglib due to lack of use.

We could actually move the source in the cvs tree but that feels like
overkill.

Thoughts?

Tim

Re: deprecating taglibs that will have standard taglib equivalents

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
This brings up an issue that we haven't handled well.
That is official releases of taglibs and versioning.  Many of the taglibs
are in a state where a 1.0 release could be done.

In the case of i18n why not do an official release, then in the documentation
state that the standard taglib is recommended for those using a JSP 1.2 container,
and i18n is provided for those using a JSP 1.1 container and is now in maintenance
mode.

Glenn

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
I agree, we should release 1.0's.  JSTL requires Servlet2.3/JSP1.2.
Any of the existing taglibs can benefit those who use Servlet2.2/JSP1.1 containers.

Glenn

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.