Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Oliver Zeigermann <oz...@apache.org> on 2010/03/28 11:41:06 UTC

Future of Transaction subproject

Folks!

While developing the 2.0 version of commons transaction I got stuck on
implementing a usable transactional file system. As I am convinced
this is not possible on top of an ordinary file system I suggest to
retire the project. Although there are other useful parts (as multi
level locking including deadlock detection) the transactional file
system is the main reason people use this library for. As it simply
can not be made fully transactional, it does not work as advertised
and for that reason it should be taken off from Apache commons.

I will not invest more work into the project, but if anyone else is
willing to take this any further please follow up to this post.

Cheers

- Oliver

Re: Future of Transaction subproject

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Oliver Zeigermann wrote:
> This seems to ask a more general question and it is an important one:
> How to retire components that have releases?
>
> Do we want to settle this more generally, before we proceed with
> retiring this component?

I agree we should solve the general problem and I think there are
good ideas on this thread about how to do that.  Here is what I think:

1) I agree with those who have said that the attic is not
appropriate for inactive commons components that have had releases.

2) I do not like the words "retire" or "retired."  The present case
is extreme; but in general it is not correct to assume that the
component will never be re-activated, nor do we want people to get
the impression that revival is impossible.  Especially if we get
more aggressive in identifying inactive components, we should be
expecting and welcoming the prospect of components going inactive
and then coming back to life.  I would prefer to stick with either
"dormant" or "inactive."

3) I agree that we should separate sandbox dormant|inactive from
proper dormant|inactive

Phil

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.
Sebb, that's a good idea. Three categories seems important: sandbox,
active, retired.

I suppose Commons should agree what is a retired component: a
component without any release for 3 years?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/dormant/transaction/

Posted by Bernd Eckenfels <ec...@zusammenkunft.net>.

Posted by TylsBurt <a4...@drdrb.com>.
Oliver Zeigermann wrote
> The only discussion seems to be about "how to retire the project", not
> "if to retire the project". This means to me we all agree to at least
> temporarily retire it

Yeah
I am incredulous that nobody wants to know *why* the main target of the
project (file atomic transactions) cannot be achieved..
Could you provide an explanation to such impossibility?
How is it possibile that other projects (e.g. XADisk) can achive atomicity?
Thank you

Re: Future of Transaction subproject

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Absolutely. :)

Go ahead and get things started by writing up something for the
transaction website, then we can proceed from there.

I'll come up with a change for the Attributes site.

Hen

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
That sounds reasonable.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
I have added a JIRA entry for the full retiring process now:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRANSACTION-39

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 5:09 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
<jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/4/7 Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>:
>
>> * Tempted to leave the SVN as is, but make it read-only; rather than
>> do a move to dormant/. I think we should avoid changing the svn
>> location of released components.
>
> Disagree with that point. A committer can be expected to deal with SVN
> moves, otherwise he or she won't be able to deal with branches. And
> for the user it is best to have a clear distinction between sandbox,
> proper and dormant. (Whether we call it dormant, retired, or whatever
> doesn't matter.)

<snip/>

I say move out of proper in SVN (to dormant / retired / TBD) as well.

-Rahul

Re: Future of Transaction subproject

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
2010/4/7 Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>:

> * Tempted to leave the SVN as is, but make it read-only; rather than
> do a move to dormant/. I think we should avoid changing the svn
> location of released components.

Disagree with that point. A committer can be expected to deal with SVN
moves, otherwise he or she won't be able to deal with branches. And
for the user it is best to have a clear distinction between sandbox,
proper and dormant. (Whether we call it dormant, retired, or whatever
doesn't matter.)

Jochen

--
Germanys national anthem is the most boring in the world - how telling!

Re: Future of Transaction subproject

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Zeigermann <ol...@gmail.com>.
Folks!

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rafał Krupiński <r....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Unless anyone speaks up for it, I'm all for our making a Retired
section and moving Transaction to it. Possibly we could relabel
'Dormant' then to be more Sandbox focused and consider some others for
Retired (Attributes, Discovery, Modeler jump to mind).

Are the other useful parts worth putting in another library?