Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Milan Reznicek <Re...@gytool.cz> on 2002/09/21 21:23:12 UTC

[users@httpd] Authentication to Novell NetWare using Apache

Hi Everybody,
	I have my Apache 1.3.26 running on WinNT 4.0 and need to authenticate
users to have access to some web pages. The computer with apache is a part of
Novell NetWare Network and I need to that only users which are from this
network have access to the web pages. Does anybody know how to authenticate
the users using apache or is there any modul for apache which could do this for
me. Thanks for your advice.

				Bye Milan

Re: [users@httpd] Problems with IE failing to load CGI output

Posted by Matthew Warren <wa...@hotmail.com>.
In addition, the perl script is called as an '#include virtual' which is why
there are not lines to print the content-type header etc..

Thanks,

Matt.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Windows XP has a serious bug, read:
http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/#xpbug

Service Pack 1 fixes the issue, so if you want to agree with their terrible
license agreement for SP1, you should apply it. If not, there is a hot fix
that M$ don't like to give away, but you can find it if you want (read: ask
for it).

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Posted by Matthew Warren <wa...@hotmail.com>.
Another point I have just seen,

I can run the perl script from a cmd window no problem.

Explorer can read the saved file no problem.

There must be something about the information, or the transfer of it, from
perl/to the browser??

Matt.

---

Re: [users@httpd] Problems with IE failing to load CGI output

Posted by Matthew Warren <wa...@hotmail.com>.
Apologies for not collecting this all together before I started posting...

Here is the kind of corruption I see in the HTML IE thinks it has recieved,
as shown by a 'view source' in IE;

Helvetica, sans-serif"> Yikuz Hahe
(XMsX,XMMXX[| ! :1.000,0 :-7.217][@/:-728.069]XX[@ -1 :-2.707]MXX,X,XXX[| !
:0.049,G :-4.928])
ðó Ô&ö€  À5   0      ø%ö€ ðõ€ Ü Ô&ö€        &ö€&ö€    À5
                         Ô&ö€
                   ˆüA    4åßõ `C    ,       ðõ€ ðõ€À5      _  `  a
8       Àõ€ Àõ€Of      \  ]  ^  _  `  a  b  </td><td><font size="1"
face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"> -4.40218
Helvetica, sans-serif"> Otukah Hehaheh

(This is not using the mp3 script u posted earlier bt the problem/symptom is
exactly the same.

Matt.

---

Re: [users@httpd] Problems with IE failing to load CGI output

Posted by Matthew Warren <wa...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

good idea ;P

I reloaded the page untill it finally came through ok once, then saved as a
.mht file from within IE. IE can indeed read this file from local HD ok.

I'm having suspicions about the cause. Watching IE having a fit, it looks
like it is re-requesting the page over and over again. Is something
apache/perl are doing making IE think the connection has ended before it has
recieved the data it is expecting?

Is there something about my perl that is causing this to happen?

issues with content-length? something to do with the interface between
Apache/Perl making explorer think the connection is dropped?

I have tested on a separate browser on a different machine, on the same LAN.
The same problem occurrs.

the simplest script I have that does this is as follows (It reads a dir of
mp3's and lists them with checkboxes next to them, with the checkbox value
being the name of the mp3).
It is also used with an include virtual, rather than being called directly.
Could that be the problem?

#!C:\Program files\perl\bin\perl.exe

@playlistfolders=("c:\\mymusi~1\\softer\\","C:\\mymusi~1\\harder\\");
foreach $dirname (@playlistfolders)
{
 opendir(LISTDIR,$dirname);
 @entries=readdir(LISTDIR);
 closedir(LISTDIR);
 @mp3s = @entries;
 @filtered = grep(/\.mp3$/, @mp3s);
 foreach $song (@filtered)
 {

   $song =~ s/\.mp3/ /g;
   print '<input type="checkbox" name="';
   print "$song";
   print '" value="checkbox">';
   print "$song";
   print '<br clear="left">';

 }

}

Cheers,

Matt.

> If you save the completed problem page to your HD from the browser, and
> then open it as a static file in IE. Will you have found if the problem
> is with IE?
>
> Matthew Warren wrote:
> >
> > Hello people;
> >
> > I have a problem with perl output using CGI & Apache. One of the issues
is
> > that I am unsure of is wether Apache, Perl or IE are the problem.
> >
> > A very simple script, like the one below;
> >
> > #!/perletc..
> > open(INPUT,"$afile")
> > while(<INPUT>)
> > {
> >     print $_;
> > }
> > close INPUT;
> >
> > Causes IExplorer to have kittens!
> >
> > As in, if the page holds over a hundred or so lines, when the script is
> > requested by IE, IE begins to behave very strangely.
> >
> > It will appear to constantly reload/resize refresh the page, literaly as
if
> > it is confused as to the dimensions of the page (Horiz and Vert
scrollbars
> > go up/down left/right & resize at random).
> >
> > The page will sometimes pause, as if it has loaded, then start to go
crazy
> > again. Sometimes one pause will show less of the page than was showing
with
> > a previous pause a second or two ago.
> >
> > After sitting there doing that for 10-20 seconds I will either;
> >
> > Get the page correctly loaded
> > Get the page with lots of corruption
> > Get a 'Server Not Found' or 'Could not open page' error.
> >
> > I can marginally alleviate the problem by slowing down the WHILE loop in
the
> > perl script, but this does not cure the problem.
> >
> > The Apache server, ActivePERL install and IE being used all reside on
the
> > same machine. An Athlon1600+, win XP Pro. Latest versions of Apache and
> > ActivePERL.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated, even just working out which
component is
> > causing the problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Matthew.

---

Re: [users@httpd] Problems with IE failing to load CGI output

Posted by Glen Stormbind <gl...@nuws.net>.

Matthew Warren wrote:

> Hello people;
>
> I have a problem with perl output using CGI & Apache. One of the issues is
> that I am unsure of is wether Apache, Perl or IE are the problem.
>
> A very simple script, like the one below;
>
> #!/perletc..
> open(INPUT,"$afile")
> while(<INPUT>)
> {
>     print $_;
> }
> close INPUT;
>
> Causes IExplorer to have kittens!
>
> As in, if the page holds over a hundred or so lines, when the script is
> requested by IE, IE begins to behave very strangely.
>
> It will appear to constantly reload/resize refresh the page, literaly as if
> it is confused as to the dimensions of the page (Horiz and Vert scrollbars
> go up/down left/right & resize at random).
>
> The page will sometimes pause, as if it has loaded, then start to go crazy
> again. Sometimes one pause will show less of the page than was showing with
> a previous pause a second or two ago.
>
> After sitting there doing that for 10-20 seconds I will either;
>
> Get the page correctly loaded
> Get the page with lots of corruption
> Get a 'Server Not Found' or 'Could not open page' error.
>
> I can marginally alleviate the problem by slowing down the WHILE loop in the
> perl script, but this does not cure the problem.
>
> The Apache server, ActivePERL install and IE being used all reside on the
> same machine. An Athlon1600+, win XP Pro. Latest versions of Apache and
> ActivePERL.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated, even just working out which component is
> causing the problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew.

---

Re: [users@httpd] Authentication to Novell NetWare using Apache

Posted by "John K. Sterling" <jo...@sterls.com>.
I assume you want to authenticate against NDS?  If so , most ldap auth
modules should work against it - but i know of one nds specific module
too:
http://www.users.drew.edu/~pwilson/mod_auth_nds/

hope that helps.

sterling