Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2017/09/04 10:30:32 UTC

How to handle exclusions in a software grant?

Hi,

I'm mentoring a podling where a large initial code donation just happened.

The corresponding software grant points to a large zip file indicating
that the donation consists of that file's contents, "excluding any
third-party and separately licensed material" that it contains.

My understanding is that this puts the burden on the ASF to review
each and every file found in there, and decide whether we can safely
include it in an ASF release or if it's third-party and separately
licensed.

Do people agree with that interpretation?

Have people seen similar cases before, and if yes how were they handled?

-Bertrand

Re: How to handle exclusions in a software grant?

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks John, I would clarify this on the contributing organization side, and pass
that along to the mentors. Thanks.

On 9/4/17, 8:13 AM, "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

    Agreed that the grant in question is missing a proper Exhibit A.  But
    perhaps their intention with Exhibit A was to list what was excluded,
    rather than what was included?

    Considering that the committers in question had CLAs on file, I would be
    surprised if 3rd Party Code were brought in.

    John

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...Have people seen similar cases before...

That doesn't look to be the case and I've just started a VOTE here to
reject such grants in the future.

-Bertrand