Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/24 14:05:21 UTC

[build][classlib] Classlib build and performance.

Guys,

we are talking a lot about performance last few days...
But it is impossible to build release version of the class library
native code :(

This is absolutely needed feature if we want to talk about performance.

Is there any volunteers in build system gurus who wants to fix the
corresponding JIRA [1]? :)

SY, Alexey

Re: [build][classlib] Classlib build and performance.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/11/24, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > 2006/11/24, Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>:
> >> I believe classlib natives compile in release mode by default.
> > Is that so? What about -Zi msvc option in makefiles?
>
> The option doesn't help much if pdb files are not copied to bin
> directory. Debugger just cannot find them.
>
> Also while compiler generates some debugging info with -Zi, compiling
> with lots of optimizations (-Ogityb1) makes debugging quite hard because
> lots of local variables are optimized out, and their values cannot be
> seen in debugger. I have to remove these optimization flags when I need
> to debug classlib natives.
But MSDN says that -Zi is incompatible with the most of optimizations.
And I believe that it switch incompatible optimizations off.

Anyway. Let's stop reading docs...
Removing of -Zi option and $(VMDEBUG) variable from Windows make files
increasing JFCmark score by 5-10%!

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
>> 2006/11/24, Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>:
>>> I believe classlib natives compile in release mode by default.
>> Is that so? What about -Zi msvc option in makefiles?
>
> The option doesn't help much if pdb files are not copied to bin
> directory. Debugger just cannot find them.
>
> Also while compiler generates some debugging info with -Zi, compiling
> with lots of optimizations (-Ogityb1) makes debugging quite hard because
> lots of local variables are optimized out, and their values cannot be
> seen in debugger. I have to remove these optimization flags when I need
> to debug classlib natives.
>
> So classlib mode is release with some debug information. I think these

Oh and BTW, on Linux there are no debugging flags at all. The -g option
has to be added to rules.mak and makefile.include for debug build.

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.
I believe classlib natives compile in release mode by default. Could
you clarify the following: