Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kiran Patel <ki...@simas.com> on 2005/03/01 20:09:01 UTC

Migration from Tomcat 4.1 to Tomcat 5.0

I have a application runing on Tomcat 4.1.  I want to change to Tomcat 5.0.  I already installed Tomcat 5.0.28 and configured server.xml and web.xml according to the document.  But when I click startup.bat, I get the error windows can not find '-Djava.endorsed.dirs=' .  I get the same error with starting startup.bat from Tomcat 4.1, but the start tomcat from Tomcat 4.1 is working fine.  I am running my web apps from Tomcat 4.1 without any problem.  What am I doing wrong?  Please help me.  I need to change to newer version due to performance issue.  I will appreciate any help.

Kiran Patel
Software Engineer
Solutions Inc.

Re: Migration from Tomcat 4.1 to Tomcat 5.0

Posted by Christian Mangold <ch...@gmx.net>.
Kiran Patel schrieb:

>get the error windows can not find '-Djava.endorsed.dirs='

hi!

look at your environment-variables JAVA_HOME should be set correctly!

hth

	-Christian

Re: Migration from Tomcat 4.1 to Tomcat 5.0

Posted by Wolfgang Hackl <wo...@inode.at>.
Kiran Patel wrote:

>I have a application runing on Tomcat 4.1.  I want to change to Tomcat 5.0.  I already installed Tomcat 5.0.28 and configured server.xml and web.xml according to the document.  But when I click startup.bat, I get the error windows can not find '-Djava.endorsed.dirs=' .  I get the same error with starting startup.bat from Tomcat 4.1, but the start tomcat from Tomcat 4.1 is working fine.  I am running my web apps from Tomcat 4.1 without any problem.  What am I doing wrong?  Please help me.  I need to change to newer version due to performance issue.  I will appreciate any help.

Hi Kiran!

Try to install your Tomcat as an operating system service by using
service.bat. This script sets the parameter java.endorsed.dirs. Having
Tomcat as service is more convenient as it can be started automatically
after booting, you don't have an extra DOS box and so on.

Kind regards,
Wolfgang