Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by vic <vi...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/07 23:24:28 UTC

Introduction / compile in JRuby

~Buildr Devs,

First I'd like to thank you all for such a cool project. As a Java developer
and Ruby lover I think this is the perfect project for me to contribute ;)

I know there's some interest in making buildr to run in JRuby, I think this
feature will be very important for the adoption of buildr, mainly because
some guys (like my clients) don't want/can install MRI on their machines.

Searching on the internet I couldn't find anything related to running on
JRuby, but I know there are other people interested on this, I'd like to
join that effort.

I've created a very simple prove-of-concept project to see what it takes to
get buildr running, and this is what i have up to now:
( You can download a tgz for this project from: )
  http://repo.or.cz/w/buildr.git?a=snapshot;h=908b11;sf=tgz

The tar is structured as follows:
  build              =>  a shell script to call jruby-complete and run
buildr
  hello-world     => A hello world application to be compiled/packaged
  lib/java           => a jruby-complete snapshot is provided here
  lib/ruby/gems => gems for buildr as jars.
     I know JRuby is able to install gems using
              --command gem install
     but doing this forces jruby to expand all the .rb on ~/.jruby, and
     I really like to get this running using jruby-complete.
  lib/ruby/bin     => The buildr launcher script is here.

To make it compile the hello-world project you must apply the attached patch
and copy/jar the content of buildr/lib into lib/ruby/gems/buildr-jruby.jar

The attached patch fixed JavaWrapper import when running on JRuby, this was
causing the javac tool not being run properly.

Although I was sucessful on making my hello-world proyect to compile, the
created package (jar) is corrupted. I guess this may be a bug on using
ruby-zip with JRuby.

So, this is what i've got. I'm planning to take a look at the package
issue next week or looking at running buildR specs from JRuby.

Best Regards,
--
vic

Quaerendo invenietis.

Re: Introduction / compile in JRuby

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On 12/7/07, vic <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ~Buildr Devs,
>
> First I'd like to thank you all for such a cool project. As a Java
> developer and Ruby lover I think this is the perfect project for me to
> contribute ;)
>
> I know there's some interest in making buildr to run in JRuby, I
> think this feature will be very important for the adoption of buildr, mainly
> because some guys (like my clients) don't want/can install MRI on their
> machines.

Thanks, I added these to the trunk.

Assaf