Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by "Thies C. Arntzen" <th...@thieso.net> on 2001/07/09 13:55:13 UTC

how does mod_perl handle" apachectl restart"?

    hi,

    i'm not on this list so please cc:thies@thieso.net in your
    reply.

    also this is not really a mod_perl question - i'm currently
    investigation "apachectl restart" problem in PHP 4...

    the problem i'm having is that if you do an "apachectl
    restart" (not graceful!) - the execution of the script gets
    interrupted at an undefined spot (because PHP 4 does not
    catch that signal - does mod_perl?). after that has happened
    the httpd-core will run the child-exit handlers for the
    child. PHP now tries to free all memory and close all open
    db-connections and all other resources. as we are in an
    undefined state some bad things can happen:

    - if we are just in the "middle" of setting us some parser
      internal stuctures we might SEGFAULT when trying to free
      them as they might not yet be valid structures.
    - if we are in the middle of an 3th partly library call
      (eg mysql_exec) - we'll recursivly call the mysql
      client-lib with is in an unknown state (which might be bad)
    - even if we were interrupted in the middle of a strcpy()
      call we might end up with an not-yet zero-terminated
      string, which might cause trouble in our cleanup code.

    the very same problem would not only appear when calling
    "apachectl restart" but also when the request hit one of it
    timeouts.

    i would be very interested in finding out how mod_perl
    handles all this.

    re,
    tc

Re: how does mod_perl handle" apachectl restart"?

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
(already answered thies offlist, but just for the record...)
modperl doesn't do anything special for non-graceful restarts.
as far as i know most people either do a graceful restart or full
shutdown/start.  i can't recall any reports of problems with non-graceful
restarts, though i wouldn't be surprised if there are similar troubles as
php has.