Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mohamed Nabil Lokbani <lo...@IRO.UMontreal.CA> on 2001/11/20 15:13:00 UTC

SESSIONS.ser & persistent storage?

Hi,

I installed tomcat4.0.1. w/ apache 1.3.14 on Linux as one instance
for multiple users. server.xml'file isn't accessible to users.

WebAppDeploy module is used in Apache.

I used "org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig" like the one showed
on the tomcat's documentation, for example:

     <Listener className="org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig"
                directoryName="somewhere"
                homeBase="/someplace/public"

userClass="org.apache.catalina.startup.HomesUserDatabase"/>

each user can access its own directory by this sort of url:

http://somehost:port/~username

each user must have the somewhere directory in its home directory
pointed by

/someplace/public/username

tomcat is running under a "regular user" privileges

I got a problem with
-------------

StandardManager[/username]: Exception unloading sessions to persistent
storage
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /blablabla/~username/SESSIONS.ser
(Permission denied)

the reason is because tomcat is running without sufficient privilege to
create SESSIONS.ser
in the username's directory.

I got after that ...

UserConfig[localhost]: UserConfig: Processing STOP
Stopping service Tomcat-Apache

How to resolve the problem without giving to the user running tomcat
more
privilege to wrtite in the username's directory?

-1- to disable persistent storage? (if so, how?)

-2- to set another path (rather the one used by default which is
/blablabla/~username/SESSIONS.ser) where tomcat could write
SESSIONS.ser (how to do it?)

Thx.

Mohamed.