Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bakki Kudva <ba...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/16 14:37:38 UTC

Lock problem on OSX (Darwinports)

I have a subversion repo on a Debian Sarge server. I do rails
development on two Debian workstations (home, work) and also a
MacBookPro.

I installed subversion from Darwinports. Things worked ok for a while
and I did commits  from and updates to all three machines until today.
When I did svn status I noticed a lock on the working dir.

$ svn status
? Rakefile
? readme
!   L .
.... etc

I cannot seem to get rid of the lock.

If I try to commit, I get..
svn commit -m "finished registration controller"
svn: Working copy '/projects/ror/sr' locked
svn: run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks (type 'svn help cleanup' for details)

If I try
$svn cleanup
svn: In directory '.'
svn: Can't copy '.svn/tmp/text-base/Rakefile.svn-base' to
'Rakefile.tmp': No such file or directory

Though it complains I still see a new file in the working dir
Rakefile.tmp

If I try copying the entire dir to the Debian box and try to commit
from there I get the same lock and ofcourse all .svn dirs show up as
:2esvn or some such thing...I suspect unicode problem?

Searching on svn user list I found a msg about a similar problem where
some one suggested using
sudo fs_usage -w | grep svn in one terminal and then doing the commit
from another. However I didn't find any chfags  set by svn.

I appreciate any help on this.

TIA,

bakki

Re: Lock problem on OSX (Darwinports)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 19, 2006, at 18:06, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> On 6/16/06, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Jun 16, 2006, at 16:37, Bakki Kudva wrote:
>>
>> > $ svn status
>> > ? Rakefile
>> > ? readme
>> > !   L .
>> > .... etc
>>
>> > $svn cleanup
>> > svn: In directory '.'
>> > svn: Can't copy '.svn/tmp/text-base/Rakefile.svn-base' to
>> > 'Rakefile.tmp': No such file or directory
>>
>> Are you having a case collision? Two files in the same directory
>> whose names differ only in case? Such as "Rakefile" and "rakefile"?
>> The default Mac and Windows filesystems cannot handle that. This FAQ
>> is relevant to this situation:
>>
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#case-change
>
> I take back what I said. There indeed is a case collision. At the root
> of my project there are two files called readme and README. In the
>
> prop-base props      text-base   wcprops
>
> directories there are two verisons of this file.
> readme.svn-base  README.svn-base
>
> On Linux if I do a fresh co I get both of them. However on OSX it
> borks and I get a lock on the dir.
>
> I think I got the README file when I upgraded Rails to v 1.1 and did a
> Rake upgrade.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.

You're welcome -- glad it ended up helping.

Those case collisions are pesky. You can install a pre-commit hook to
prevent such commits from happening, to make life easier for people
on case-insensitive file systems. The Subversion source distrubution
(and the repository) includes some contributed scripts you can use:

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/

Re: Lock problem on OSX (Darwinports)

Posted by Bakki Kudva <ba...@gmail.com>.
Ryan,

I take back what I said. There indeed is a case collision. At the root
of my project there are two files called readme and README. In the

 prop-base props      text-base   wcprops

directories there are two verisons of this file.
readme.svn-base  README.svn-base

On Linux if I do a fresh co I get both of them. However on OSX it
borks and I get a lock on the dir.

I think I got the README file when I upgraded Rails to v 1.1 and did a
Rake upgrade.

Thanks for the pointer.

-bakki

Posted by Bakki Kudva <ba...@gmail.com>.
No there are no collisions. Some how I am getting a lock on the
working dir. But I can't figure out the '!' which implies the file
insn't in the repo. But then the '.' is for the entire working dir.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.