Posted to dev@ozone.apache.org by Aravindan Vijayan <av...@cloudera.com.INVALID> on 2021/05/10 05:32:38 UTC

Re: [VOTE] - Merge Non rolling upgrade branch - 'HDDS-3698-nonrolling-upgrade'

Hello Marton,

Apologies for the delayed response, your reply slipped through my attention!

I am not sure which of my statements conveyed the fact that we want to
"stabilize" on the master. We have been continuously stabilizing the branch
for the last 2 months while keeping an eye on regressions, code quality and
CI stability. When we set out to work on HDDS-3698, we had some goals and I
believe those have been met. The bugs that were reported by you are being
worked on or fixed (including the security issue which is only on the
upgrade path, and not on the regular path). IMHO, if everyone waits for
100% correctness to merge a feature, then the master will never be up to
date.

We are working on the (hopefully) final merge from master, and then we will
create the merge commit from the branch after that. If large scale changes
are expected after the VOTE, I believe as project PMC/committers we would
let the dev know. I am sure we are not trying to get approval for 'A', and
then merge 'B'.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Aravindan

Re: [VOTE] - Merge Non rolling upgrade branch - 'HDDS-3698-nonrolling-upgrade'

Posted by Mukul Kumar Singh <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks,

Mukul

Posted by Aravindan Vijayan <av...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hello All,

Circling back to the upgrade branch VOTE thread after fixing issues
mentioned from last vote, and incorporating changes from HDDS-2939. Please
refer to the original VOTE mail for the details of the design and
implementation.

The github feature branch is here:
 https://github.com/apache/ozone/tree/HDDS-3698-nonrolling-upgrade

The design documents as well as feature documentation is put up in the
ozone wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OZONE/Non-Rolling+Upgrade+Framework+Merge+Checklist

The merge discussion thread is:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r463b8f2742994c2f1596541d49d0340c88817958c530bf10694e6a9c%40%3Cdev.ozone.apache.org%3E

Thanks to all contributors for your input into the design, implementing,
testing and review of this feature.

I am starting with my +1.

*The vote will run for 7 days, ending on June 28th 2021 at 8:00 am PT.*

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 8:03 AM Elek, Marton <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks the answer Aravindan.
>
> > If large scale changes
> > are expected after the VOTE, I believe as project PMC/committers we would
> > let the dev know. I am sure we are not trying to get approval for 'A',
> and
> > then merge 'B'.
>
> Just let me clarify it: I am not concerned about large changes after
> VOTE. We already discussed the design and we had a strong agreement.
>
> I am concerned about the small issues which can be fixed easily. But
> here, the power of the community can help: with the following two inputs
> everybody can help to do a final test:
>
>   * at least a basic documentation (we have it)
>   * A commit proposed to be merged (to make it possible to compare the
> results)
>
> This is very similar to what we do for each release. Just do a final
> smoke check to be sure we are fine.
>
> And similar to a release, one small commit can be a big difference (a
> wrong LICENSE can be a release blocker, or one very unstable test can be
> a merge blocker ).
>
> That's the reason why I asked for a commit hash: a well-specified plan
> to vote on. (but as far as I remember I was not the only one...)
>
> Thanks again the answer and the great work,
> Marton

Thanks & Regards,
Aravindan

Re: [VOTE] - Merge Non rolling upgrade branch - 'HDDS-3698-nonrolling-upgrade'

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.