Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Ronnie Jorgensen <ro...@upp-ltd.com> on 2021/08/02 14:08:01 UTC

Copy files between 2 windows servers with Camel - Can it be done?

Hi all,

I am new to Apache Camel or any MQ software for that matter.

I need some advice. Can Camel copy files between 2 Windows servers?

My scenario is this, I have a cloud HR/Finance system (Workday) and a SWIFT Alliance Lite 2 server. Both systems/servers generate txt files the other server need. My job is to get the files copied across.

The way I do it now is this:
Workday drop a file on our secure FTP. Then I have a scheduled task that runs every 5-10 minutes and copy files over to the other server where the Alliance Lite 2 system is running and will pick up the file and process.

The other way is that a file is dropped on the Alliance Lite 2 system from SWIFT. My scheduled task that runs also every 5-10 minutes copy files from that server and over to the secure FTP server for Workday to pick up.

As you can imagine, I would be very keen to get rid of a scheduled task that copies files.

Can Camel help?

Best regards

Ronnie J

E-mail sent for and on behalf of a member of the UPP Group in the UK which includes:

UPP Group Holdings Limited, registered number: 5016028
UPP Group Limited, registered number: 6218832
UPP Residential Services Limited, registered number: 5337048
UPP Projects Limited, registered number: 5272122

Registered office: 1st Floor, 12 Arthur Street, London, EC4R 9AB.
Registered in England and Wales

it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept
responsibility for any errors or omissions that are present in this
message, or any attachment, that have arisen as a result of e-mail
transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy
version. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Re: Copy files between 2 windows servers with Camel - Can it be done?

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ronnie,

Yes it's possible, but the right question is with "which" protocol.

You have different options:
- go via a messaging middleware (like Kafka or ActiveMQ)
- use FTP or kind of shared filesystem (NFS, SMB, ...)

Basically, Camel can read (consume) files from one machine and send to
ActiveMQ. Then the second machine consumes from ActiveMQ and create the
file (produce).
That's an option.

Regards
JB