Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Samuel Jackson <sa...@yahoo.de> on 2005/10/25 01:33:44 UTC

Indexing problem - empty index files!

Hi to all!

I'm new to Lucene and wanted to create a sample
application to index certain database fields.

But there seems to be some problem because the created
files in the index target directory are only 1kb -->
So I don't get any results of course.

Here is what I did - can anyone give me a hint whats
wrong?

for (Iterator iter = someData.iterator();
iter.hasNext(); ) {
Item item = (Item) iter.next();
Document doc = new Document();
doc.add(Field.Text("id",
Long.toString(item.getId())));
doc.add(Field.Text("title", item.getTitle()));
doc.add(Field.Text("description", item.getTitle()));
try {
        final IndexWriter writer = new
IndexWriter(indexLocation, new StandardAnalyzer(),
true);
        writer.addDocument(doc);
        writer.optimize();
        writer.close();
        indexCreated = true;
}
catch (IOException e) {
    e.printStackTrace();
}
}

RE: Indexing problem - empty index files!

Posted by Koji Sekiguchi <ko...@m4.dion.ne.jp>.
Samuel,

IndexWriter should be opened once and keep it open
until all documents are added to the writer, then close the writer.

modified sample code:

final IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter(indexLocation, new
StandardAnalyzer(),true);

for (Iterator iter = someData.iterator(); iter.hasNext(); ) {
    Item item = (Item) iter.next();
    Document doc = new Document();
    doc.add(Field.Text("id", Long.toString(item.getId())));
    doc.add(Field.Text("title", item.getTitle()));
    doc.add(Field.Text("description", item.getTitle()));
    writer.addDocument(doc);
}
writer.optimize();
writer.close();