Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp> on 2002/03/14 09:40:28 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] PHP::Session

Announcing new module: PHP::Session.

This module enables you to read / write (write is not yet implemented
though) PHP4-builtin session files from Perl. Then you can share
session data between PHP and Perl, without changing PHP code, which
may be a hard work for us Perl hackers.

This is something you'll never want to do, but imagine the cases where
you should co-work with PHP coders, or take over another company's PHP
code.

NAME
    PHP::Session - read / write PHP session files

SYNOPSIS
      use PHP::Session;

      my $session = PHP::Session->new($id);

      # session id
      my $id = $session->id;

      # get/set session data
      my $foo = $session->get('foo');
      $session->set(bar => $bar);

      # remove session data
      $session->unregister('foo');

      # remove all session data
      $session->unset;

      # check if data is registered
      $session->is_registerd('bar');

      # save session data (*UNIMPLEMENTED*)
      $session->save;

DESCRIPTION
    PHP::Session provides a way to read / write PHP4 session files, with
    which you can make your Perl applicatiion session shared with PHP4.

TODO
    *   saving session data into file is UNIMPLEMENTED.

    *   WDDX support, using WDDX.pm

    *   "Apache::Session::PHP"

AUTHOR
    Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@bulknews.net>

    This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
    under the same terms as Perl itself.

SEE ALSO
    the WDDX manpage, the Apache::Session manpage

--
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp>

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PHP::Session

Posted by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp>.
At Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:46:20 -0600,
Jim Smith wrote:

> > > Will there be a way to specify each of the actions as PHP allows?
> > > For example, in a project I have, we use PHP4 sessions, but they are
> > > stored in a MySQL table so they can be shared across web machines
> > > without worrying about NFS problems.
> >
> > You're very happy :)
> > Then you don't have to play with this module of nightmare.
>
> I tried to write such a module last year.  PHP sessions are a bit of
> a nightmare to parse efficiently, afaik.  I'm glad someone's gone to
> the trouble to try and make a usable and distributable module.

Exactly, it *is* a nightmare. See my dirty duplicated source code!

I guess the format is designed to be easily parsed by C, but very
difficult by Perl :)

--
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PHP::Session

Posted by Jim Smith <jg...@moya.tamu.edu>.
On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 06:03:56AM +0900, Tatsuhiko Miyagawa wrote:
> At Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:06:56 -0600,
> Jim Smith wrote:
>
> > Will there be a way to specify each of the actions as PHP allows?
> > For example, in a project I have, we use PHP4 sessions, but they are
> > stored in a MySQL table so they can be shared across web machines
> > without worrying about NFS problems.
>
> You're very happy :)
> Then you don't have to play with this module of nightmare.

I tried to write such a module last year.  PHP sessions are a bit of
a nightmare to parse efficiently, afaik.  I'm glad someone's gone to
the trouble to try and make a usable and distributable module.

--jim

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PHP::Session

Posted by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp>.
At Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:03:56 +0900,
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa wrote:

> > Basically, it would be nice to have PHP::Sessions provide the
> > serialization mechanism for use by Apache::Session without it
> > worrying about how to store the information.
>
> Yes, what I'm planning now is Apache::Sesion::PHP, which gives your a
> way to handle PHP4 session files transparently via Apache::Session
> interface.

Current implementation of PHP::Session is already modularized enough
for you to use serialization part as a standalone code. See
PHP::Session::Serializer::PHP for it. (Though its synopsis says "DONT
USE THIS MODULE DIRECTLY" :))

--
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp>

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PHP::Session

Posted by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp>.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PHP::Session

Posted by Jim Smith <jg...@moya.tamu.edu>.

Re: [ANNOUNCE] PHP::Session

Posted by Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <mi...@edge.co.jp>.
Now PHP::Session 0.05 with save/destory implementation is going on its
way to CPAN.

0.05  Mon Mar 18 16:36:27 JST 2002
	* added Boolean type (ext/var.h in PHP source code)

0.04  Fri Mar 15 16:14:32 JST 2002
	* added destroy()

0.03  Fri Mar 15 16:01:35 JST 2002
	* added session ID validation