Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/04 18:35:58 UTC

Re: Adding license code to third party dependencies

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am in the process of finishing the implementation of generic
> FaceRecognitionService, service component. In face recognition module I have
> added face4j dependency which is in MIT license. So the above mentioned SCA
> component is kind of a wrapper of a face4j class. Which means in my
> interface I have used face4j exceptions to throw and etc.
> So do I need to add the MIT license code or adding a portion saying that
> this class contains MIT license classes as a wrapper, with our Apache
> license 2 code ? or what is the preferred way of doing this ?

There are two things here, one is about you creating a wrapper but
still surfacing the wrapped framework exceptions etc... I'd recommend
that you really make this a wrapper and shield the consumers from the
actual implementation details, this would allow you to swap or provide
different implementations in the future.

As for the legal aspects, in high level summary, you need to update
LICENSE file with this new dependency (face4j), list the jars under
that license, and provide the copy of the MIT license there. See [1]
for how other dependencies are listed. You might also need to update
the NOTICE file if there are specific notices in the face4j
frameworks. Note that, If face4j brings new transient dependencies to
PhotArk, you need to handle those as well.

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/photark/trunk/distribution/src/main/release/bin/LICENSE
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/photark/trunk/distribution/src/main/release/bin/NOTICE

--
Luciano Resende