Posted to gui-dev@apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com> on 1998/09/01 00:34:42 UTC

Re: So what's happening ?? I working on a survery of work and results

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 Ben_Knauss@cch.com wrote:

> microsoft highly recommends the registry for configuration data.

Not exactly.

> as far as portability, the windows port wont run on any other platform as
> it is... seems like a mute issue.

It is the same exact codebase except for the differences in the places
required to make it run.  Changing the configuration semantics introduces
a needless incompatibility, in addition to  annoying a lot of people who
weren't tricked by the registry marketiods and who like being able to do
useful things.

You can make whatever changes you want, but I can say right now that I
don't think people are too likely to support their inclusion in the main
source tree.