Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Ian Holsman <kr...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/13 23:50:06 UTC

Diversity

one of the gates on the incubator is diversity.

quoting Noel from a message in general@:
> Can you confirm the community diversity?  That is one thing I could not tell
> straight off, although I do note the comment in July 2005 about crossing the
> threshold, and observe that there have been at least 4 committers  added
> since then.  So I'm assuming that it is fine, and therefore +1.

As a mentor on Solr, I thought I would bring this up. We need a bit
more diversity in who is checking in code to SVN.

An approach to this would be for the CNET developers to back off on
the commits (even though they are faster/more experienced at them) and
let others step up.

I would hate to have this project knocked back because of lack of
diversisty of contributors.

regards
Ian

--
Ian@Holsman.net -- blog: http://feh.holsman.net/ -- PH: ++61-3-9877-0909

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. -
Mario Andretti

Re: Diversity

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,
My take on this is fairly simple:

- Have a publicly-visible and up-to-date todo list (be it a wiki page
or whatever)
- Encourage contributions from new people whenever and however
possible.  If someone seems clueful, encourage them to submit easy
patches and commit the patches for them.  Get them involved however
possible.
- Be open, be inviting, be welcoming...

You shouldn't explicitly NOT do something in order to give someone
else a chance to do it -- there will always be enough work.

If the above are consistently done, the chances of a dynamic community
are good, and even if there are no new committers over the next few
months, you've established the you understand the Apache Way and have
an open community.

Yoav

--
Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC

Re: Diversity

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Maybe a wiki page saying all the ideas you guys have thought of but
: haven't had time to implement. basically we're after getting a spark
: created in a new-to-solr developer's head.

We'll, we've got the TaskList on the Solr wiki...

	http://wiki.apache.org/solr/TaskList

...I guess we should promote that a little more.

: ok.. let me be clear here.. CNET comitters are still very important to
: the upkeep of the project, and new functionality from them would
: always be great.. I'm not anti-cnet ppl (some of best friends are CNET
: developers ;-) just that they need to leave some low hanging fruit so
: that others can grab it.

Right.  understood.

-Hoss

Re: Diversity

Posted by Ian Holsman <Ia...@Holsman.net>.

Re: Diversity

Re: Diversity

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Ian Holsman wrote:
> As a mentor on Solr, I thought I would bring this up. We need a bit
> more diversity in who is checking in code to SVN.

Yes, that's definitely true.

> An approach to this would be for the CNET developers to back off on
> the commits (even though they are faster/more experienced at them) and
> let others step up.

I'd hate to see this.  I think the key is to get more folks using it.
Contributions come from use.  So the focus should be on attracting
users, rather than adding features.  Missing features are opportunities
for new developers.  You'll get users with a great out-of-box
experience, that does most (but perhaps not quite all) of what they want.

Doug