Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> on 2008/02/08 16:26:35 UTC

Re: Mail archives

On 21.12.2007, at 12:56, Roland Weber wrote:

> Hi Odi,
>
>> It looks like the mail archives of the old list has not been
>> copied to
>> the new location. We are listing the following link as the archive
>> location:

I took me a bit but this is also done now, see INFRA-1516 for exact
details.

> I believe that only the apmail archives in tar.gz format are
> merged to the new lists, but not the mbox archives. The tar.gz
> files can be found here: http://hc.apache.org/mail/

Yes, I took care of merging the ezmlm archives and the raw archives
while moving the lists - the mod_mbox archives though needed to be
done by someone else.

To sum up, we now have the following full and identical archives in
ezmlm, hc.apache.org/mail/ and mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/:

commits(x)hc.apache.org
   merged from httpcomponents-commits(x)jakarta.apache.org
   see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hc-commits/
   going back to Feb 2005

dev(x)hc.apache.org
   merged from httpcomponents-dev(x)jakarta.apache.org
   merged from commons-httpclient-dev(x)jakarta.apache.org
   see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hc-dev/
   going back to Nov 2002

httpclient-users(x)hc.apache.org
   merged from httpclient-user(x)jakarta.apache.org
   see http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hc-httpclient-users/
   going back to Oct 2004

We also have redirects in place to take care of any old URLs like
   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-httpcomponents-
commits/
   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-httpcomponents-dev/
   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-
httpclient-dev/
   http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-httpclient-user/
so these are automatically redirected to the new, merged lists.

The mod_mbox overview page still shows the old lists but I'm taking
care of that too...

> I've tried to add "other archive" links to the 3.1 site, but
> Maven 1 didn't want to show those links in the website. Maybe
> I was just missing the documentation on how to do it right,
> but I removed the links from the project.xml again.
> I've listed the old mailing lists as archive-only links on
> the 3.1 site:
>
> http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/mail-lists.html

We should probably also list the new commits@ list over there too (?)
and completely remove the links to the two old lists (they're
redirecting to the new ones anyway) - can someone take care of that?

> Something similar should probably be done for the 4.0 site.

I don't think we should replicate the list info on all component
pages - should be enough to have them on the main hc site: http://
hc.apache.org/mail-lists.html (which btw should also be adjusted to
get rid of the links to the old lists, will try to do that soon if no
one beats me to it).

Cheers,
Erik

Re: Mail archives

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Erik,

> Aye, so looks like we're missing the archives from 03 Oct 2002 to 28 Nov
> 2002 - they are neither in ezmlm nor in the raw archives at /mail/ :-(
>
>> I still have the archive with the missing messages I got from Hank,
>> but I'm not sure whether
>> a) Apache wants to merge external archives into our own
>> b) it is worth the effort
>
> Hmm, I trust MARC so a) is probably not the issue... re b) I think we
> should at least put them into the raw archives (we could then also
> re-index mod_mbox to have them in there) but I've no clue on how to get
> them into ezmlm...

The archive is available at
http://people.apache.org/~rolandw/httpclient-commons-dev_missing_2002.bz2

or from the respective file location on people.apache.org.

cheers,
   Roland

Re: Mail archives

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 08.02.2008, at 19:49, Roland Weber wrote:

>> To sum up, we now have the following full and identical archives in
>> ezmlm, hc.apache.org/mail/ and mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/:
>
> Not quite full :-) Both mod_mbox and /mail/ are missing about one
> month worth of messages from the very beginning of the dev list.

Oh, ok.

> I didn't check whether they are in ezmlm, where marc.info probably
> got them from in the first place:
>     http://marc.info/?l=httpclient-commons-dev&r=1&b=200210&w=2

Aye, so looks like we're missing the archives from 03 Oct 2002 to 28
Nov 2002 - they are neither in ezmlm nor in the raw archives at /
mail/ :-(

> I still have the archive with the missing messages I got from Hank,
> but I'm not sure whether
> a) Apache wants to merge external archives into our own
> b) it is worth the effort

Hmm, I trust MARC so a) is probably not the issue... re b) I think we
should at least put them into the raw archives (we could then also re-
index mod_mbox to have them in there) but I've no clue on how to get
them into ezmlm...

>> I don't think we should replicate the list info on all component
>> pages -
>> should be enough to have them on the main hc site:
>
> Correct from a web site perspective. But we ship a copy of the
> website with HttpClient 3.x, and I believe that is still planned
> for the core and client releases, too. I'm not sure whether it
> is possible to remove the mailing lists if you let Maven generate
> the "Project Information" section for a module, or whether that
> is even desired if we ship the generate pages in releases.

Right, I knew I was missing something - don't worry then...

>> http://hc.apache.org/mail-lists.html (which btw should also be
>> adjusted
>> to get rid of the links to the old lists, will try to do that soon
>> if no
>> one beats me to it).
>
> I've updated the main site, but not the component sites.
>
> Minor snafu: I got distracted when updating the site and a few
> minutes passed before I changed downloads.cgi to executable again.
> Do you want to guess when the production servers were synced?
> The download page will start to work again in less than 4 hours...

Btw, we really need to change the deployment for the website from
Maven scp to a SVN checkout - this is a) a infra requirement [1] and
b) will make sure that those things don't happen. The only downside
is that we need to keep a copy of the generated stuff in SVN but that
was discussed to length already and we don't really need to re-hash
that.

Cheers,
Erik

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html

Re: Mail archives

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Erik,

>>> It looks like the mail archives of the old list has not been copied to
>>> the new location. We are listing the following link as the archive
>>> location:
>
> I took me a bit but this is also done now, see INFRA-1516 for exact
> details.

Thanks to you and Joe.

> To sum up, we now have the following full and identical archives in
> ezmlm, hc.apache.org/mail/ and mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/:

Not quite full :-) Both mod_mbox and /mail/ are missing about one
month worth of messages from the very beginning of the dev list.
I didn't check whether they are in ezmlm, where marc.info probably
got them from in the first place:
    http://marc.info/?l=httpclient-commons-dev&r=1&b=200210&w=2

I still have the archive with the missing messages I got from Hank,
but I'm not sure whether
a) Apache wants to merge external archives into our own
b) it is worth the effort

> We should probably also list the new commits@ list over there too (?)
> and completely remove the links to the two old lists (they're
> redirecting to the new ones anyway) - can someone take care of that?

Done.