Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Alexey Goncharuk <al...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/17 16:35:32 UTC

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Guys,

Do you think there is any reason to keep optimized marshaller on public API
in Ignite 2.0? It has several disadvantages, the major being non-conformant
with Java serialization guarantees(namely, the inability to add/remove
fields). On the other hand, Binary marshaller supports all this and much
more, and as fast as optimized.

Given that Binary marshaller rolls back to optimized in case of
Externalizable or presence of writeReplace/readResolve, I think it makes
sense just to move it to the private package.

Another positive effect - this will almost halve the number of test suites
we need to run on TC.

Thoughts?

Re: Ignite 2.0 tasks/roadmap

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:35 AM, Alexey Goncharuk <
alexey.goncharuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> Do you think there is any reason to keep optimized marshaller on public API
> in Ignite 2.0? It has several disadvantages, the major being non-conformant
> with Java serialization guarantees(namely, the inability to add/remove
> fields). On the other hand, Binary marshaller supports all this and much
> more, and as fast as optimized.
>
> Given that Binary marshaller rolls back to optimized in case of
> Externalizable or presence of writeReplace/readResolve, I think it makes
> sense just to move it to the private package.
>
> Another positive effect - this will almost halve the number of test suites
> we need to run on TC.
>
> Thoughts?

No objections from me. Although, we should still make sure that we run all
the Externalizable test suites with Binary Marshaller.