Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Echo Li <ec...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/22 20:36:30 UTC

How to prevent user drop table in Hive metadata?

Good Friday!

I was trying to apply certain level of security in our hive data warehouse,
by modifying access mode of directories and files on hdfs to 755 I think
it's good enough for a new user to remove data, however the user still can
drop the table definition in hive cli, seems the "revoke" doesn't help
much, is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks,
Echo

Re: How to prevent user drop table in Hive metadata?

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
So, If I get it right

you are looking for role level authorizations?
like what all a user can do and what it can not do?

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: How to prevent user drop table in Hive metadata?

Posted by Sanjay Subramanian <sa...@yahoo.com>.
Cloudera Sentry is awesome and I have implemented this in Cloudera manager 4.7.2 CDH 4.4.0. Thanks again to shreepadma for all answers to my questions on the CDH users group. I can provide guidance on Sentry configs if needed.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Xiu Guo <xg...@gmail.com>.
Does something like this not do the job?

<property>
  <name>hive.security.authorization.createtable.user.grants</name>
  <value>user1:select;user2:create</value>
</property>

I thought tweaking hive-site.xml would be fine.

Posted by Echo Li <ec...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shreepadma Venugopalan <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by si...@bt.com.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Biswajit Nayak <bi...@inmobi.com>.
Dont think so..
On 23 Nov 2013 01:20, <si...@bt.com> wrote:

> Has no one raised a Jira ticket ?
>
> ----
> Dr. Simon Thompson

receipt.

Posted by Biswajit Nayak <bi...@inmobi.com>.
Hi Echo,

I dont think there is any to prevent this. I had the same concern in hbase,
but found out that it is assumed that user using the system are very much
aware of it.  I am into hive from last 3 months, was looking for some kind
of way here, but no luck till now..

Thanks
Biswa
On 23 Nov 2013 01:06, "Echo Li" <ec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good Friday!
>
> I was trying to apply certain level of security in our hive data
> warehouse, by modifying access mode of directories and files on hdfs to 755
> I think it's good enough for a new user to remove data, however the user
> still can drop the table definition in hive cli, seems the "revoke" doesn't
> help much, is there any way to prevent this?
>

> Thanks,
> Echo

receipt.

Re: How to prevent user drop table in Hive metadata?

Posted by Richard Nadeau <st...@gmail.com>.
You can use: ALTER TABLE {table_name} ENABLE NO_DROP;

And it will keep a user from dropping the table - but it can be over ridden.

Rick

Posted by Jov <zh...@gmail.com>.
you can hack the meta database,eg create a triger on the TBLS which do some
check and return error when delete from this table

jov
在 2013-11-23 上午3:36,"Echo Li" <ec...@gmail.com>写道: