Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jason Johnston <Ja...@epa.state.il.us> on 2003/04/21 18:26:08 UTC

Help: Servlets Change behavior from Tomcat 4.0.1 to Tomcat 4.1.24

Ok, I'm migrating my webapps from a tomcat install of 4.0.1 to 4.1.24.
The behavior I'm witnessing is very strange.  None of my Servelts are
"available" when I try to browse to them, yet I have evidence at least
some of them are functioning.

I have a "BOASetup" servlet that is launched when the webapp is
deployed.  It sets up the database connections and places a series of
objects in the application context.

It also processes requests by returning a status page (number of DB
connections in pool, number active, number of people logged on, etc..).

Now all the JSP's that use the objects that the setup servlet places
are running fine.  They are retrieving the objects without a problem,
which indicates to me that the BOASetup servlet has been initialized.

However, when I try to access the servlet via a URL (direct or mapped),
I get a 404 error.

In fact all my servlets are returning 404 errors.  The logs have
absolutely nothing showing up.  They indicate nothing is wrong.

The one lead I have, is that everything worked fine Friday and this
morning I swapped j2sdk1.4.0 for j2sdk1.4.1 on this system.  I'm really
hoping that's not it though.

Does anyone know of anything else that might be causing this behavior?
Thanks.

Re: Help: Servlets Change behavior from Tomcat 4.0.1 to Tomcat 4.1.24

Posted by Arturo Vazquez <va...@ciencias.unam.mx>.
On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 12:51, Tim Funk wrote:
> - Hopefully your not using the invoker servlet. If you depend on it - it
> needs re-enabled
> - what do the logs say? (local_host..., catalina.out)
> - does turning up debugging help? (provide more insight)
> - did you check the release notes? (In case of any gotchas)
> - are you using this with apache - Is that setup corect? I suggest ditching
> apache until everything else is working ok. Then re-introduce apache when all
>   is ok.

may I ask which distribution are you using, in particular if you are
using the RPM there is no default for JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS so tomcat
starts without the ${CATALINA_HOME}/common/endorsed dir as stated in the
documentation which in my case contain vital classes for my servlets to
work properly
					VAZ
PS: if this is NOT your problem then providing the information requested
above may help

Re: Help: Servlets Change behavior from Tomcat 4.0.1 to Tomcat 4.1.24

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
- Hopefully your not using the invoker servlet. If you depend on it - it
needs re-enabled
- what do the logs say? (local_host..., catalina.out)
- does turning up debugging help? (provide more insight)
- did you check the release notes? (In case of any gotchas)
- are you using this with apache - Is that setup corect? I suggest ditching
apache until everything else is working ok. Then re-introduce apache when all
  is ok.

-Tim