Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Dr. Exner" <ex...@fh-flensburg.de> on 2006/02/17 11:18:49 UTC

startup error: Unable to find required classes (javax.activation.DataHandler ...)

Hi,

with both, the preconfigured version from
jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9-preconfigured.zip and the installation from
apache-tomcat-5.5.15.exe I get the following startup messages:

- Unable to find config file.  Creating new servlet engine config file:
/WEB-INF/server-config.wsdd
- Unable to find required classes (javax.activation.DataHandler and
javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart). ...

However, the activation.jar is included in the CLASSPATH (via Windows
Control Panel) correctly and a test application successfully uses the
javax.activation.DataHandler class from this archive.

I wouldn't care for this but the main reason for using tomcat (at the
moment) is the axis-j toolset. While validating the axis installation with
the "happy axis" page I get the same error:
    Error: could not find class javax.activation.DataHandler from file
activation.jar
    Axis will not work.

My attempts to start axis without a running tomcat for testing failed. So
solving the problem seems to require to solve the problem with tomcat?

Thanks
             D. Exner