Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com> on 2007/02/24 21:38:44 UTC

Dojo and Opera Browser

I know that there is work afoot to integrate some ajax functionality
with the DOJO toolkit. So to see what the deal was I browsed on over
to their foundation's website.

However I found that none of their web demos worked for me. Didn't even
fail gracefully. I then pasted the URI of the demos into a firefox
browser, and the demos worked. Uh-oh.

One of the great strengths of ofBiz is that it can be operated from
most any web capable device. And one of the growing areas of technology
is web enabled phones, and a significant number of those phones use
the Opera browser. I'd guess its at least high single digits or greater.

I'd hate to think that no ofBiz-ian has tested dojo with opera, or that the
dojo folks think opera is "broken", since it's not.

--
Walter

Re: Dojo and Opera Browser

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Also, let's keep in mind that the current use of Dojo is in an
example checkout process.  Just about all checkout processes are
rewritten to handle the individual workflows of each customer - so
having one in there certainly isn't stopping anything from working.

There are some components that are being used in working with the new
CMS component, but none of that is set in stone at this point.  My
guess is that if Dojo makes the usage of CMS much easier for the
other 99.9% of the people out there - we might have to think about
doing two things:

1. Working with Dojo to make it more compliant with Opera
2. Have people who use opera use one of the many others that _do_
work with it.  Especially if this will help gain acceptance of OFBiz
for more content related operations.

Just my two cents

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: Dojo and Opera Browser

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I am sure as this toolkit begins to get used by more people in the
community it will find it's way into the admin application.  As I
mentioned before, there is work going on on the CMS side of the fence
that is utilizing this technology to make it easier on users.

Walter, if you or any other power users out there, have any
recommendations on backend usability upgrades, please make sure that
these kind of things start to make their way to a larger list that's
being developed for the hackathon.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Re: Dojo and Opera Browser

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.

Re: Dojo and Opera Browser

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Dojo and Opera Browser

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.

Re: Dojo and Opera Browser

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Walter

I did a quick google and found this (posted feb '07):
"Xsss4hell, what does “do almost not work” mean? The demos on the web
site are currently outdated… we’re redoing the web site, but there are
plenty of test cases in the source tree. Most of Dojo works with Opera
except for a few bugs here and there. If there are high priority issues
you find with Opera, please file bugs in the Dojo trac
<http://trac.dojotoolkit.org/>."

Regards
Scott