Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/25 07:48:24 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1401982 - in /maven/maven-3/trunk/maven-core/src: main/java/org/apache/maven/exception/DefaultExceptionHandler.java test/java/org/apache/maven/exception/ test/java/org/apache/maven/exception/DefaultExceptionHandlerTest.java

Can someone review this for me please.

Core scares the hell outa me.

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.
It's just a few lines of code - what could go wrong? :-)

There's no IT for this. Have you tested it with your problematic use
case? (was it site:run?)

All the existing ITs pass on Java 1.6.0_31 on MacOS 10.7.

I don't see any errors in the code. The only thing I'm thinking about
is if ConnectException always is wrapped as a MojoExecutionException
by the mojo developer? There's no guarantee he/she doesn't throw a
MojoFailureException instead by mistake.

/Anders

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
> Sure, just looking for the context. I've been running tons of stuff with Java 7 on new Redhat/CentOS/Ubuntu machines for a while and haven't seen it. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't some manifestation of a weird test setup.

Which is why I asked for someone to sanity review what I was doing ! :)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

On Oct 25, 2012, at 5:48 PM, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:
>> This is for a connection timeout that is emanating from Jetty in one of the tests and you're handing this in the core of Maven?
>
> It is not specific to Jetty, that is just one manifestation of the problem.
> Its Java 7's preference for IPv6 over IPv4.
>
> From my googling I can see this has affected *nix boxes more with
> pre-7 Java versions. It is now starting to affect Windows 7 and Java 7
> users now.
>
> My choices are bake in -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true to Maven (not
> ideal) or enhance the error handling to provide a reference to the
> wiki for how to solve the problem. Jetty is just one manifestation of
> this problem.
>
> I'm open to alternative suggestions.
> One would be to make DefaultExceptionHandler extensible, to remove the
> need to make core modifications.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

On Oct 25, 2012, at 1:48 AM, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone review this for me please.
>
> Core scares the hell outa me.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition