Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nicholas Pappas <ni...@rightstep.org> on 2004/12/20 20:54:28 UTC

Install Subversion on Gentoo Help

	Hello all.

	Does anyone have subversion running on Gentoo using the ebuild?  I am
trying to install subversion at the moment, but have run into a few
problems -- or am not understanding why things are not working at the
moment.
	After building the package I make a symbolic link from /var/svn->/svn,
which is its own partition.  I then ran the config option from the
ebuild, which created all the files and gave them 'apache' user and
group permissions.
	Now, I can not import a new project (svn import...) as my user account,
although it is part of the apache group -- but root can add a project.
I can not checkout (svn checkout...) any files as my user either.
	This is the error I get when trying to check out the project that root
added:

svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///svn/repos/trunk'
svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
/svn/repos/db: Permission denied

	Based on the permissions (rwxr-xr-x) I can see why I might be getting
this error, but I do not understand at the same time.  Who exactly
should be able to import/checkout on a default install?
	I've been looking over the following guides in an effort to get it working:
		http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Subversion
		http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/svn-book.html
	The Gentoo-Wiki is nice, but it talks about installing a personal
repository.  While this would be acceptable for my situation, I'd like
to avoid it just because I'd rather have it installed as it would by
default.
	Any help is figuring out the steps I need to get the repository
working, and letting my user account (and say, any other user account I
create in the future) the ability to import and checkout, would be
greatly appreciated!

Re: Install Subversion on Gentoo Help

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@bantamtech.com>.
I run the Subversion ebuild on Gentoo. I did not try to move the
ebuild's repository location to somewhere else, though. I would guess
it's a permission problem, if the svn group does not have write
permission. I just run "chmod -R 775 /path/to/svn/repository" and chmod
-R g+s /path/to/svn/repository" and it works. I added my user and apache
to the svn group.

HTH

Posted by Dentharg <de...@tlen.pl>.
Dnia poniedziaƂek, 20 grudnia 2004 21:54, Nicholas Pappas napisaƂ:
> svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
> svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///svn/repos/trunk'
> svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
Are you trying to use repo with file protocol? Why not through the apache
with http web-dav?

-Marcin
--
  RLU# 221865 | @   dentharg : tlen   pl | http://marcin.gilusiowy.net
  G-G# 185057 | JID dentharg : chrome pl |

Re: Install Subversion on Gentoo Help

Posted by Ni...@sybari.com.
We use SVN on Gentoo.  The emerge took care of everything correctly,
including building the Apache modules and setting up the Apache conf
files.  The only thing to do was  create any additional repositories and
add users.
We've only accessed it via http & DAV, so I can't help regarding file://.
Perhaps setup SVN w/ the default emerge (ie. don't symlink to another
area, use Apache access, etc), and then start changing at as you wish.

Regards,
Nick G

Nicholas Pappas <ni...@rightstep.org>
12/20/2004 03:54 PM