Posted to xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/11/19 19:50:48 UTC

[VOTE]: xml-commons-external-1.3.04 Release on Wednesday, November 22nd

Hi all,

Xalan is going to be having its first release [1] in over a year this
upcoming Friday. So that Xalan 2.7.1 can pick-up the latest JAXP 1.3 APIs,
I propose that we release xml-commons-external-1.3.04 this Wednesday. I
made a few minor tweaks last night but it's basically been ready to go for
weeks. I've uploaded a release candidate to people.apache.org [2] for
review. The change summary is available in status.xml here [3] in SVN.

Please vote on the commons-dev list.

To start, here's my +1.

Thanks.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xalan-dev&m=116384070614284&w=2
[2] http://people.apache.org/builds/xml-commons/
[3] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xml/commons/trunk/status.xml

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: [VOTE]: xml-commons-external-1.3.04 Release on Wednesday, November 22nd

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> wrote on 11/21/2006 06:45:03 PM:

> I did some basic checks - general rather than technical.
>
> The Bin dist unpacks in a named directory, but the Src just
> unpacks in the current directory.

It's been like that as long as I can remember. I know the Xerces build.xml
javadoc target relies on the source unpacking to the current directory.

> Missing .sig files. I suppose that you will add these after.

Planning to sign them tomorrow.

> The KEYS file is not in the Src dist.

Will take care of that next time around. The KEYS file is also distributed
by itself on the mirrors. Will refresh that tomorrow.

> +1, those things aren't enough to halt it.
> (I am not on the XML PMC.)
>
> 5c4e989c1923cbc33bd5031e91567d26
xml-commons-external-1.3.04rc-bin.tar.gz
> 5536f87a816c766f4999ed60593a8701
xml-commons-external-1.3.04rc-src.tar.gz

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote on 11/21/2006 02:04:10 PM:

> +1, this sounds great.  Possibly the last xml-commons release anyway,
eh?

No. There will be others. 1.2.06 is about ready to go. Hopefully JAXP 1.4
+ StAX in the not too distant future.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
+1 (non-binding)

Looks good to me.

On 19.11.2006 19:50:48 Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Xalan is going to be having its first release [1] in over a year this
> upcoming Friday. So that Xalan 2.7.1 can pick-up the latest JAXP 1.3 APIs,
> I propose that we release xml-commons-external-1.3.04 this Wednesday. I
> made a few minor tweaks last night but it's basically been ready to go for
> weeks. I've uploaded a release candidate to people.apache.org [2] for
> review. The change summary is available in status.xml here [3] in SVN.
>
> Please vote on the commons-dev list.
>
> To start, here's my +1.
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xalan-dev&m=116384070614284&w=2
> [2] http://people.apache.org/builds/xml-commons/
> [3] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xml/commons/trunk/status.xml
>
> Michael Glavassevich
> XML Parser Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Jeremias Maerki

Re: DOM Level 3 Events and XPath in xml-apis-ext.jar

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 20.11.2006 06:56:16 Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote on 11/20/2006 12:26:57 AM:
>
> > Michael Glavassevich:
> > > Done. I just refreshed the RC packages [1]. Could you please verify
> that
> > > the xml-apis-ext.jar parts are okay?
> >
> > Looks good to me.  One thing you may want to check is the
> > appropriateness of the Apache license header on
> > org/w3c/dom/svg/EventListenerInitializer.java.  This file isn?t actually
> > in http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/java-binding.zip, but was just written
> > from the IDL description on http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/java.html.
>
> The file didn't originate from the W3C and has Javadoc which appears to
> have been written by one of the Batik developers. I think the ASF header
> needs to be there.

I agree.

Thanks, Michael, for the merge! I'm happy that this is going forward.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote on 11/20/2006 12:26:57 AM:

> Michael Glavassevich:
> > Done. I just refreshed the RC packages [1]. Could you please verify
that
> > the xml-apis-ext.jar parts are okay?
>
> Looks good to me.  One thing you may want to check is the
> appropriateness of the Apache license header on
> org/w3c/dom/svg/EventListenerInitializer.java.  This file isn?t actually
> in http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/java-binding.zip, but was just written
> from the IDL description on http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/java.html.

The file didn't originate from the W3C and has Javadoc which appears to
have been written by one of the Batik developers. I think the ASF header
needs to be there.

> Thanks,
>
> Cameron
>
> --
> Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/
>    xmpp:heycam@jabber.org  ?  ICQ 26955922  ?  MSN cam@mcc.id.au

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: DOM Level 3 Events and XPath in xml-apis-ext.jar

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Michael Glavassevich:

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Michael Glavassevich/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 11/19/2006 09:01:13 PM:

> Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au> wrote on 11/19/2006 05:30:53 PM:
>
> > Michael Glavassevich:
> > > Do you mean the SAC, SMIL and SVG bindings? I agree that those could

> be
> > > merged onto the trunk.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Xalan is going to be having its first release [1] in over a year
this
> > > upcoming Friday. So that Xalan 2.7.1 can pick-up the latest JAXP 1.3

> APIs,
> > > I propose that we release xml-commons-external-1.3.04 this
Wednesday.
> > > made a few minor tweaks last night but it's basically been ready to
go
> for
> > > weeks. I've uploaded a release candidate to people.apache.org [2]
for
> > > review. The change summary is available in status.xml here [3] in
SVN.

> > No chance of those SAC, SMIL and SVG bindings going into trunk, and
for
> > a xml-apis-ext.jar being built, for this release?  If not, what?d be
the
> > timing for the next release?
>
> There's still time. I'll merge them onto the trunk and refresh the RC
> packages.

Done. I just refreshed the RC packages [1]. Could you please verify that
the xml-apis-ext.jar parts are okay?

> > --
> > Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/
> >    xmpp:heycam@jabber.org  ?  ICQ 26955922  ?  MSN cam@mcc.id.au
>
> Michael Glavassevich
> XML Parser Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

[1] http://people.apache.org/builds/xml-commons/

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: DOM Level 3 Events and XPath in xml-apis-ext.jar

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Cameron McCormack <ca...@mcc.id.au>.
Michael Glavassevich:
> Do you mean the SAC, SMIL and SVG bindings? I agree that those could be
> merged onto the trunk.

[...]

Posted by Peter McCracken <pe...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1

--
Peter McCracken
XML Parser Development

[VOTE RESULTS]: xml-commons-external-1.3.04 Release on Wednesday, November 22nd

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
The vote to release xml-commons-external-1.3.04 resulted in 8 +1 votes (4
from Xerces PMC members, 4 from other committers) and no other votes:

+1 by:
- David Cargill (PMC)
- David Crossley
- Shane Curcuru
- Michael Glavassevich (PMC)
- Jeremias Maerki
- Alberto Massari (PMC)
- Peter McCracken
- Gareth Reakes (PMC)

The release should be up on the mirror sites some time this afternoon.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Posted by David Cargill <ca...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1

Regards,
David A. Cargill
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
(905) 413-2371, tie 969
cargilld@ca.ibm.com

             Michael
             Glavassevich/Toro
             nto/IBM@IBMCA                                              To
                                       commons-dev@xml.apache.org
             11/19/2006 01:50                                           cc
             PM                        private@xerces.apache.org,
                                       private@xml.apache.org,
                                       j-dev@xerces.apache.org,
             Please respond to         xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
             private@xerces.ap                                     Subject
                 ache.org              [VOTE]: xml-commons-external-1.3.04

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Peter McCracken <pe...@ca.ibm.com>.
+1