Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Fr...@netscape.net on 2003/03/05 02:20:55 UTC

J2EE and Tomcat and struts (Question re "Struts in Action" by Husted)

The book has no discussion about installing J2EE when installing Tomcat.  Yet, on page 20, Listing 1.2, RegisterAction.java imports the package javax.servlet.http.*.  Is'nt that package part of J2EE?  How is this going to compile and work if no J2EE is installed?  I haven't gotten far enough to compile this yet because I am still stuck on trying to figure out what is UserDirectory (in the same listing).
I would appreciate an explanation.
Thanks.

RE: J2EE and Tomcat and struts (Question re "Struts in Action" by Husted)

Posted by Jonathan <jp...@aber.ac.uk>.
Tomcat is an implementation of the servlet spec that is part
of the J2EE architecture.  You should be able to include the
jar files that are in tomcat as part of your classpath in
order to compile your servlets.

Jon.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
>From the bottom of page 20:

"The UserDirectory is a helper class that will record usernames and
passwords into a standard properties file. Otherwise, the failure
ActionForward is
returned at (e)."

Ted (perhaps mistakingly) over-looked adding the source for that class.
I can't seem to find it in the e-book or any of the review chapters.

The import you refer to is part of the J2EE Servlet API.  Typically
named 'servlet.jar', you can find this in Tomcat's lib directory or you
can grab a copy yourself.

Typcial locations for Tomcat:
Tomcat 3.2.x - %TOMCAT_HOME%/lib
Tomcat 3.3.x - %TOMCAT_HOME%/lib/common
Tomcat 4.0.x - %TOMCAT_HOME%/common/lib
Tomcat 4.1.x - %TOMCAT_HOME%/common/lib
Tomcat 5.0.x - %TOMCAT_HOME%/common/lib

To get the nightly source or binary distributions, go to:
 Binary
  http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-servletapi-4/nightly/

 Source
  http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-servletapi-4/nightly/src/

--
James Mitchell
Web Developer/Struts Evangelist

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought
which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)