Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> on 2007/03/06 23:08:04 UTC

why do we call the "eclipse plugin" devtools?

I agree its a development tool... but its seems really odd that we
don't just call this "eclipse-plugin"... which seems to be the normal
way other projects refer to their eclipse integration.

For example, on the main page under sub-projects... I think the link
should be "Eclipse Plugin" and that most users will kind of expect to
see that instead of "Development Tools", which happens to be a page
all about the "Eclipse Plugin" anyways.

--jason

Re: why do we call the "eclipse plugin" devtools?

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 3/6/07, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:
> I'm okay with the svn sub-
> tree for devtools/.... just slightly annoyed that we refer to the
> eclipse plugin as "devtools", when its really the "eclipse plugin".
> Its minor... but I'm anal about structure and naming :-P

I love your tidiness until its me that has screwed something up! ;-)

Re: why do we call the "eclipse plugin" devtools?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I would just add a new link on the nav for J2G... and when/if we get
an IDEA plugin, then add that as a separate link too.  I'd also give
each of them their own JIRA project too.  I'm okay with the svn sub-

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
"Devtools" is the name of the subproject, to represent tools like,
XDoc, the Eclipse-Plugin, J2G.  Currently yes, there is only one tool
that has been released under devtools, so it does look kind of
weired. However, hopefully with J2G, and the Netbeans plugin will can
start filling the Devtools subproject with more content.

Thus I believe it should stay as is.

-sachin

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 3/7/07, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> On 3/7/07, Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't understand.  What is currently named devtools besides the link on
> > the site?  I favor what we have currently, but if you feel strongly about
> > this, I will not object any changes you make.
>
> I haven't removed what I had seconded as it clearly shows that I'm in
> favour of devtools != eclipse-plugin and that we should use the name -
> eclipse-plugin - where it deems appropriate.

Once I had written it I removed the quote. See the thread for the
reference. Sorry.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: why do we call the "eclipse plugin" devtools?

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 3/7/07, Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com> wrote:

> ------------------------------
> | Development Tools |
> ------------------------------
> | Eclipse Plugin          | <--- links to eclipse-plugin.html
> | Netbeans Plugin      | <--- links to netbeans-plugin.html
>
> (sorry evil ascii art)

I like it even if it's just an evil ascii art (I hope it won't end up
on our site though ;-))

> the NB thing is an example, since AFAIK we don't have one of those yet.

Right.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: why do we call the "eclipse plugin" devtools?

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Does eclipse follow redirects?

--jason

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Anyways... I wasn't referring to the devtools/site.xml bits, though
that is another area where "devtools" means "eclipse-plugin".  Should
eventually be tidy'd up, but the thing I wanted to chagne more was
the html pages for the site.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
On Mar 6, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>> For example, on the main page under sub-projects... I think the link
>> should be "Eclipse Plugin" and that most users will kind of expect to
>> see that instead of "Development Tools", which happens to be a page
>> all about the "Eclipse Plugin" anyways.
>
> I know there're some works on a Geronimo NetBeans IDE plugin so wait a
> bit longer and you'll see the point of having 'Devtools' name not
> 'Eclipse Plugin' .

No... then I would see more reason to not have things called
"devtools".  I would expect that each of these "devtools" would have
their own page, then own JIRA so they can be managed separately.

I think its fine to have a the side-nav box titled "Development
Tools" but I expect to have each major tool to have its own
independent area for managing content/issues related to it.

  * * *

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.