Posted to users@maven.apache.org by wqi <wq...@ic.sunysb.edu> on 2004/12/21 21:53:08 UTC

questions about cvs and maven

Hi Everyone,

I'm a little confused on how cvs is being used in maven, I really
appreciate it if anyone can clarify a few things for me. For my project,
we had an ant script that first checkout a module from our cvs
repository to a build directory and then executed the build process from
that directory. Does Maven also work this way?

I had placed similar codes like the following into my project.xml. I'm
not sure what these lines exactly does.
<repository>
   <connection>
	scm:cvs:pserver:mparikh@milindparikh.com:/src:maven/project4
   </connection>
</repository>

In addition, do we use the folloiwng command to check out a module from
the cvs repository?
maven scm:checkout-project
  -Dmaven.scm.method=cvs
  -Dmaven.scm.cvs.module=project4
  -Dmaven.scm.cvs.root=:pserver:mparikh@milindparikh:/home/cvspublic
  -Dmaven.scm.checkout.dir=.

Looking forward to your reply,

Thanks a lot,

-Wendy

Re: questions about cvs and maven

Posted by Milind Parikh <mi...@hotmail.com>.
To bootstrap your project (i.e. the first checkout of a real project) , use
:

maven scm:checkout-project
   -Dmaven.scm.method=cvs
   -Dmaven.scm.cvs.module=project4
   -Dmaven.scm.cvs.root=:pserver:mparikh@milindparikh:/home/cvspublic
   -Dmaven.scm.checkout.dir=.

For this to really work with a secure password, you need to have a cvspass
file. I discuss how to create a cvspass in my book (which you are clearly
refering to) at www.milindparikh.com. The scm plugin does all the work. No
more ant scripts to bootstrap the checkout process.

Once you have the project.xml, then you make the project SCCS aware (CVS) by
the inclusion of

<repository>
   <connection>
         scm:cvs:pserver:mparikh@milindparikh.com:/src:maven/project4
    </connection>
</repository>

Once a project is SCCS aware, it can then generate all kinds of interesting
reports as mentioned in my book.

Hope that this helps!

-- Milind

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.