Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com> on 2007/12/19 02:01:46 UTC

"Downloadable Software"

I'm seeing a lot of these today, and Bayes seems to be letting a lot of
them leak through. Any good rule for stopping them? The links are always to
a Geocities page.

Re: "Downloadable Software"

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I'm seeing a lot of these today, and Bayes seems to be letting a lot of
> them leak through. Any good rule for stopping them? The links are always
> to a Geocities page.

If you're using the WebRedirect plugin, this rule works well:

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::WebRedirect
   header   WEB_RE_LOC_REPLACE Web-Redirect =~
/\bparent\.location\.replace\b/
   score    WEB_RE_LOC_REPLACE 4.0
   describe WEB_RE_LOC_REPLACE Links to web page that contains
'parent.location.replace'
   tflags   WEB_RE_LOC_REPLACE net
endif

Daryl

Re: "Downloadable Software"

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Tuesday, December 18, 2007 8:16 PM -0500 Matt Kettler
<mk...@verizon.net> wrote:

> Do you have network checks enabled? I just grabbed one and it seemed to
> hit XBL, SpamCop and Razor2 pretty nicely:

I'm not using Razor, and I have SpamCop disabled (since October 1). Alas I
didn't put a comment in my SpamCop-disabling cf file to indicate why I
disabled it. I'll re-enable and see if that helps.

Re: "Downloadable Software"

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Kenneth Porter wrote:
> I'm seeing a lot of these today, and Bayes seems to be letting a lot
> of them leak through. Any good rule for stopping them? The links are
> always to a Geocities page.

Do you have network checks enabled? I just grabbed one and it seemed to
hit XBL, SpamCop and Razor2 pretty nicely:

 pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
 3.0 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
                            [137.132.31.162 listed in zen.spamhaus.org]
 2.0 RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET RBL: Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
              [Blocked - see
<http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?137.132.31.162>]
 0.5 RAZOR2_CHECK           Listed in Razor2 (http://razor.sf.net/)
 1.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E4_51_100 Razor2 gives engine 4 confidence level
                            above 50%
                            [cf: 100]
 0.5 RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 Razor2 gives confidence level above 50%
                            [cf: 100]

Re: "Downloadable Software"

Posted by Joseph Brennan <br...@columbia.edu>.

--On Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:01 PM -0800 Kenneth Porter
<sh...@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

> I'm seeing a lot of these today, and Bayes seems to be letting a lot of
> them leak through. Any good rule for stopping them? The links are always
> to a Geocities page.

Reject mail with a URL to geocities.com.  66.218.77.68/32 is in the
Spamhaus SBL, updated Dec 7.  If you check URLs in messages.

There are two patterns in those reported to us.  I don't know enough
about normal Geocities URLs to make regexps unique to these.

[1] Noted at Spamhaus, these have multiword subjects and links like this
after geocities.com/

BlakeStafford34/
EdmondMcfarland16/

[2] The more voluminous kind has one-word lower-case subjects and
links like this after geocities.com/

a5owm7rv4ted5vt/
zoukfb127u07xzl/
e3e2jphxfamnp/