Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by "Wengatz, Nicole" <ni...@siemens.com> on 2007/01/05 13:24:37 UTC

RE: OSGi Binding

Hi Andy,

>We have asked for such a feature in a future OSGi release since
>the virtual bundle stuff we do in Spring-OSGi is a little tacky
>(re-writing jars on the fly).
>I don't know what the status of this is but it seems a universally
desired feature.
That's interesting.
Have you (or someone else in your team) already written a RfP (Request
for Proposal) for it?
If not, I would propose that we do it (I have learned that writing a RfP
is the first step
to get something into OSGi :-)

In SCA we have the JAR files (e.g. the Bindings) which we would like to
deploy in OSGi
(without repackaging them as OSGi bundles in advance).
The idea is to have a directory containing the JAR files which will be
observed by a
Provisioning Service. Whenever a JAR will be added, the Service takes
it, reads the SCDL file (containing the
information about exports/imports), generates on the fly the bundle and
installs/starts it.
We started working on a prototype for this Provisioning Service. I had a
look to your
BundleFactoryBean and MavenBundleManager and I 'borrowed' some parts  of
it
(re-writing jars on the fly). Hope this is ok.
I'm optimistic that it will fulfill our needs, but I would appreciate if
OSGi would provide the virtual
bundle feature.

Best regards
Nicole