Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/17 14:49:34 UTC

Continuing the shared modules merge

  Hi guys,

as I have merged all the schema modules into shared-ldap-schema, I'm
continuing to merge the modules that does not deserve to be standalone.
Here are the next targets :
- shared-ldap-constants should be part of shared-ldap
- shared-ldif should be part of shared-ldap
- shared-ldap-jndi may remain a separate module atm
- shared-ldap-converter should be part of shared-ldap
- shared-cursor should be part of shared-ldap
- shared-asn1 and shared-asn1-codec are an anomaly : right now, I really
think those two modules should be merged into shared-ldap, but as
shared-asn1-codec has a dependence on MINA, it's better to keep them
independent. I would like to be able to get rid of this MINA dependency,
by defining the MINA references through providers, but this is a 1 day
effort I don't have the desire to do now. If someone have time to work
on decoupling shared from MINA completely, that would be a good move
(well, MINA dependencies could be declared with a scope <test>, but
otherwise, we should not depend on MINA at all, IMO).

Thoughts ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Continuing the shared modules merge

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
  On 9/17/10 2:59 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Sounds good, except one thing: As we have a separate shared-dsml
> module and in your previous mail you said you want to keep it, I
> wonder if it makes sense to keep shared-ldif in a separate module? An
> the other side, LDIF is used all the time when dealing with LDAP.

To me, DSML is a different beast. LDIF is a base component used all over
the server, and the client obviously.

Don't get me wrong : I don't want to end with a giant shared-ldap module
containing everything, but limit the number of modules we are dealing
with. At the end of this refactoring, we should keep :
- shared-ldap
- shared-dsml
- shared-jndi
- shared-i18n

and that's it.

Another aspect is that I'm not only doing this refactory to gather the
maximum classes in a singe module, but when we will rename shared to
API, it will generate less work and problems.

Also I consider we went too far with the multiplication of modules. The
server is probably a different problem though, as the modules are used
to help us keeping each concern in an isolated component.

We should keep in mind one thing when creating a module : is this module
standalone, or can be used on one side only (ie, client or server) ? If
the answer is no to those two questions, I think we should start
thinking about merging them.

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Sounds good, except one thing: As we have a separate shared-dsml
module and in your previous mail you said you want to keep it, I
wonder if it makes sense to keep shared-ldif in a separate module? An
the other side, LDIF is used all the time when dealing with LDAP.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
+1